3.2.16

RUSTIC YOGURT ROUNDS


This all began with our friend Tony bringing us ten 1-litre containers of 0% plain yogurt. Now I love plain yoghurt, but you know what I think of 0% fat content! I hid them in the freezer under the tomatoes. Then last week Jimre cleaning the freezer came upon the yogurt and said it was time “we” ate it. Jimre doesn’t eat yogurt.  Zero fat content was already a challenge, but frozen? I thawed out a container and there were these little white specks floating in transparent liquid... This, I decided can only be used for baking. Then yesterday I made three breads and used up an entire container of yogurt. I thought we pick the one we like best but it turns out we liked all three. I guess we are into yogurt bread now. How these recipes will work with fresh yogurt, I am not sure. I am not volunteering; I still have 9 litres of the frozen stuff in the freezer. 

This recipe makes one very large or two medium sized breads. With zero fat content, have I brushed the tops with water before I put them in the oven, they could have been crusty breads. Instead, I sprinkled the tops with flour, hence the rustic appointment.

RUSTIC YOGURT ROUNDS
3-1/2 to 4 cups flour
3 tsp instant yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 cup 0% plain yogurt
1 cup water
olive oil for brushing

  • Place 3-1/2 cups of flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in the mixer bowl.
  • Using the paddle attachment whisk the flour mixture.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt and the water and continue mixing to form dough.
  • Replace the paddle attachment with the hook attachments.
  • Knead the dough until very elastic.
  • Add from the remaining flour if needed. Dough should be soft and elastic.
  • Oil a large bowl and place in the dough, turning over.
  • Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough until doubled.
  • Punch down on a floured breadboard and shape two oval loaves or one large.
  • Place the loaves on parchment lined baking sheets
  • Brush remaining oil on the top and let rise until loaves are doubled again.  
  • Place a cup of water on the bottom of the oven and preheat to 425F.
  • Dust the loaves liberally with flour and score the middle twice.
  • Place the bread in the preheated oven and bake until nicely browned on the top and the bottom.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!