26.8.23

COOKIE CRUMB BARS

 

When you bake for Christmas, you bound to end up with a bagful of broken, sometimes misshapen cookies and bar cookie trims. You can eat it as is or reinvent it a few months later. Surveying the deep freeze downstairs I thought it was time to use the freezer bag of rich cookie crumbs I made last Christmas. You can use graham crumbs instead, in which case more butter and sugar will be needed to get the right flavor and consistency. I started with two cups of cookie crumbs and ended up using three… after I put in the sour cream. It tasted great even though I am not a fan of peanut butter. Inspired by the Hungarian version of cookie crumb roll made with jam, but wanting a lot less sugary confectionary, I opted to use peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. Speaking of chocolate chips, Chipits will pass, but I found Costco’s own brand of Chocolate chips is better. 

Cookie Crumb Bars 
Base: 
2 to 3 cups of home made cookie crumbs 
1/3 cup soft butter 
1 cup icing sugar 
1 1/2 cups deep roast peanut butter 
2 Tbsp full fat sour cream 
salt to taste 

Topping: 
2/3 cup good quality dark chocolate chips 
1/3 cup soft butter 

• Line a square baking pan with parchment paper. 
• Starting with just 2 cups of cookie crumbs using a large bowl, combine the first three ingredients by hand. 
• Stir in peanut butter. Mix really well. 
• Add the remaining crumbs and the sour cream, gradually, as needed. 
• When you have the right consistency, taste the mixture and add salt to taste. 
• Press the mixture into the prepared pan. 
• In a small, microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips for about a minute. 
• Add the soft butter and stir. 
• Pour over the base and spread evenly. 
• Let the chocolate firm up and lightly score the top. 
• Chill and slice.



Jimre likes it melted

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!