image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

14.12.12

WHITE BUTTER CAKE


Happy Birthday Leilah!
 
What a wonderful white cake this is. It has a beautiful crumb and is easy to slice. The original recipe called for 3 cake pans. I baked only two, chilled them and then cut them in half, hence the four layers. It was stable enough to cut and to move the layers apart, and spreading the frosting onto the cut sides was a breeze. I will use this cake for my fresh strawberry layer cake; I am not a fan of heavy shortcakes. This cake would be lovely made into an upside down cake as well from half of the recipe. Virtually any fruit glaze or fruit flavoured frosting or fruit decoration is suitable to finish this cake. As I adopted the last chocolate cake I made as my standard, this shall be my white cake henceforth. I will look no further. Adapted from White Christmas Buttercake from Recipe.com.
 
3 cups sifted cake flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup whole milk
8 egg whites
1 cup sugar
 
• Fully line 2 spring form, round baking pans with parchment paper and spray them with cooking spray. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
• In a large bowl, beat the butter, 1 cup sugar and the vanilla until fluffy.
• Add the flour mixture alternately with the cream and the milk, beating on medium speed after each addition until well combined.
• Clean the beaters.
• In another large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
• Gradually add 1 cup sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form [tips stand straight].
• Gently fold the egg whites, about 1/4 at a time, into the creamed mixture. [If necessary, transfer mixture into a larger bowl]
• Divide mixture into the prepared pans. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near the centers comes out clean.
• Cool layers in pans on wire racks.
• Place the pans in the fridge and chill thoroughly.
• Remove from fridge, unhook spring mechanism and peel off the parchment papers.
• Place the cakes on wax paper or parchment and slice them in half horizontally using a serrated knife.
• Line a cake plate with strips of parchment paper.
• Place a bottom layer on the plate and spread with Unforgettable White Chocolate Frosting.
• Repeat with the remaining layers, placing the other cake bottom on the top.
• Frost the top and the side with a thin layer of frosting and chill for 15 minutes.
• Keep adding the frosting and chilling the cake until only a half a cup of frosting remains.
• Pull the parchment strips from under the cake.
• Use the remaining frosting to patch the bottom of the cake where the parchment pulled away the frosting.
• Chill the finished cake.
• Remove cake from the fridge an hour before serving.
• Decorate with fruit or serve as is.


  video

13 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, I should hide my today's layered "cheated" cake... This is a piece of art! What a lovely birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah Sissi, don't sell yourself short. The cake you made, called “Unbaked Layered Chocolate Cake (Stefanka)” is wonderful and will appeal to a large number of people. I will make it for my busy daughter, because I know she will like it and she will more likely to make the Stefanka than this white butter cake. Besides how can you go wrong with a chocolate ganache filled confection?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful cake. All of your desserts look bakery perfect. I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful cake...looks like it came from a bakery shop. Happy to have found you through Sissi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cake...looks like it came from a bakery shop. Happy to have found you through Sissi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! You should make a business of it! This cake sounds delicious, I love a simple buttercream. Is that a Hungarian crocheted table cloth? I have one my grand mother made, but it had many stains from years if enjoyment on my Mother's table, do I died it with tea! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the kind words. It's that cursed perfectionism gene I have, the art training didn't help to suppress it either. I am becoming aware that one of my life lessons will be letting go of perfectionism, my hands are starting not to work as my brain tells them, in the meantime, I can still make good-looking cakes.

    The tablecloth was a gift from my son in law's grandmother who lives in Orsogna. I don't serve food on it, I am saving it for my granddaughter. It is a treasure and it should go back to their family. I have some crocheted table coverings from my mother, but they are for side tables, she never had the time to make anything large enough to put on a dining room table. If I had one, I would use it. As for the ones I have from her, I have a more contemporary taste; I could not live with crocheted items around me so Mom’s things are just never used. I take it out occasionally, wash them, and then pack them away between acid free papers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RE: Eva's comment on your crocheted table cloth.

    Like you, my tastes are more contemporary and I put away all the doilies and table coverings my mom used to have spread around the living room etc over the years. One day, if I set up my dining room again, I may dress it with the pieced tablecloth my mother taught me to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make the most beautiful cakes! I love the way you cut the cake layers in half and ended up with 4 layers rather than 2. You know what that means? More icing!!! :) I'm one of those that can bypass the cake for a bowl of the icing. Have a great week Cake Lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made a quilt once using some of the doilies my relatives gave me over the years. It hangs on a quilt hanger and I am not sure what I will do with it if I have to downsize. The Hungarian embroidery my mother in law made for us is put away in boxes they are beautiful, but I simply cannot live with their vibrancy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why thank you Peach Lady! :-)
    I love to make cakes and the best part is icing them. I just love that final step.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I don't use the crocheted cloths anymore, as my tastes have changed and I prefer a cleaner look as well. I have used the tea stained table cloth as a drop for our Christmas tree in the past. I have bags and bags of crocheted doilies, I have no idea what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eva your photos and tablescapes tell the tale of your talent and visual insight. Personally, I would love to have a large crocheted tablecloth for my dining room; it would be so grand to serve high tea on it. But alas my table is a round and all I have in way of larger crocheted items are rectangles that would barely cover a section of my table.

    It's those doilies that give us the puzzle what to do with it, my aunties kept making them for me and all the while I knew I will never use them. The quilt I made from doilies is useless. Nobody wants it as a coverlet. In retrospect, I should have made a pair if curtains from it:

    Using semi-transparent cotton muslin [in a very light muddy pastel, so it would blend in with the doilies] I would make a pair of curtains. An alternative is to find a pair of light cotton ready-made curtain panels. After that, I would lay the curtains down with their right sides up, side by side on the floor and pin the doilies on top in a pleasing arrangement. The arrangement has to work on the individual curtain as well as with its pair. Then baste them on securely with a contrasting colour thread. Next, number the doilies with a masking tape, indicating also if it is on the left or on the right side panel. Draw the placement with the corresponding numbers onto two pieces of papers. This will be your pattern to follow when you put the doilies back in their places.

    Next place a curtain on a table with the wrong side up and make light pencil markings along the perimeter of each doily about 1 inch apart. This should not be too difficult with a semi transparent fabric. Carefully remove the basting around the doilies and set the doilies aside. Leave the masking tapes on the doilies.

    Now you have two curtain panels with pencil markings on the wrong side outlining the doily shapes. Lightly connect the dots and the shapes will become more visible. Now half an inch inside these shapes redraw the lines. Cut along the inside lines and discard the cutouts. Do a slit not quite all the way to the corners of angles. Still working from the wrong side of the fabric, turn the fabric over to create a finishing hem against the outside shape you drew on the fabric. Do the shaping with a warm iron; this will make the rest of your job very agreeable. Hand stitch the ends, making sure the stitches are barely visible on the right side of the fabric. When each hole is finished, gently iron the panels from the right side of the fabric, being mindful not to stretch the fabric out of shape with these gaping holes in it.

    Next, consult the paper patterns and match up the doilies with the holes. Get quilting thread [it’s stronger than regular thread] matching in color either the doily or the curtain panel. Now place the doilies [one by one] inside the matching holes and catch stitch at half-inch intervals to the curtain panel.

    You now have a pair of breeze curtain panels with doily widows. Perfect for a baby’s room, a feminine room, or a cottage.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.