image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

2.4.13

INDIVIDUAL RICOTTA CHEESECAKES



Adapted from Beatrice Ojakanga’s “Petite Sweets”, these individual sized desserts really do give the New York Cheesecake experience, except they are much, much fewer in calories. I used 3 small [2 oz] and 3 large [4 oz] ramekins. The small ramekins produced a satisfactory amount for a single serving and the large ones, I found, were a little too large for a single serving. This dessert is easy to make and the cranberry sauce is just the right amount to serve on top of eight 2 oz servings.
 
187.5 g [12 oz] light cream cheese -->; this amounts to 3/4 of a 250g block of cream cheese, at room temperature [room temp is important!]
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup half and half
 
Cranberry Sauce:
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 pinch of finely grated orange grind
 
• Preheat the oven to 250F.
• Have available eight small [2 oz] ramekins.
• Adjust oven rack to center position.
• In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed beat the room temperature cream cheese for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
• Add the ricotta and mix until blended.
• Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing after each addition until completely incorporated.
• Add the vanilla, sugar, and whipping cream and mix until combines.
• Divide the batter among the ramekins.
• Place the ramekins in a large, rimmed baking dish and place on the oven rack.
• Pour enough hot water into the pan around the ramekins to reach about halfway up the sides.
• Bake for 45 minutes, until set.
• Meanwhile make the cranberry sauce.
• Place the cranberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
• The skins of the cranberries should all burst within a minute.
• Remove from the heat, set aside to cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled through.
• After 45 minutes in the oven the top should not have changed color at all.
• Remove the ramekins from the oven and from the water bath.
• Set aside to cool slightly, then refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled through.
• Spoon the chilled cranberry sauce over the chilled custards and serve.
• Yields eight 2oz servings
 

8 comments:

  1. You know I was going to love this, smaller portions, lower calories, it's just lovely! And such an elegant dessert. I might even try to make this with no fat yogurt cheese (just strain your yogurt for a day and it's as thick and creamy as cream cheese. I also love the cranberry topping, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsa, it looks like a beautiful spring dessert! Actually if you don't add eggs and don't bake it, but set it with gelatin and use mixed cottage cheese instead of cream cheese, you will have my unbaked cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't determine dessert portion sizes based on calories since I don't indulge very often anyway, but if a small serving is satisfying, there's no need to glut yourself by having a huge piece. Tomorrow is usually soon enough to indulge.

    I think I have to pick up some smaller ramekins however as these individual cheesecakes DO look good and there's only me around making it sensible to scale down the recipe at least by half and take my time enjoying each one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva, you should see more of these types of recipes - once I catch up with my write ups to the present - for instance this was done several weeks ago. I have to loose serious weight for a serious reason. I will reactivate the health smart section on my blog sometime soon and work exclusively toward it. The one thing I found with healthy eating: it is either boring or tasteless. But I will not post any recipe I did not enjoy; perhaps weeks will go by without a post. So be it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sissi, didn't I make that once? I will check it out. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria I will have to buy more small ramekins too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy eating need never be boring or tasteless, Zsuzsa.I've struggled all my life with keeping my weight down. I find eating lots of vegetables (which I adore anyway) and keeping my proteins to 100g per serving and not eating (many) carbs. I've also heard about standing on the scales at least once per day, and that way you can manage the little creeps up immediately before it becomes 5 lbs which could easily happen in a week. I always thought that a bit obsessive, but these days it does indeed make a difference. Dieting is really like a budget of how much you consume to how much you use up. I wish you great success with your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Eva! I am very comfortable in my skin, but unfortunately several health issues I am facing made me decide to loose the access baggage. It won't be fun, I am a carb addict and my need for good bread is substantial. Of course I could drown myself in whipped cream too, but interestingly cakes and cookies are the least of my worries. I will miss the bread most of all. The good thing is I love all kinds of vegetables too and I can live without fruit which contains too much sugar anyways. It’s not loosing it that is the hardest; it’s the lifestyle change I will have to make to keep it off.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.