image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

10.4.16

EASTER HAM from READY TO EAT


After a day of fasting, on Good Saturday the family would gather for a cold supper. The menu was slow boiled farmer's ham with boiled eggs, green onions and a large braided loaf. At this stage in my life all I want for Easter is a farmer's ham. Is it so much to ask? I’m sorry but the Easter turkey just doesn’t cut it for me. Except I have not seen a farmer’s ham for years. 

This is the Farmer's Ham

Ready to eat hams have taken over. About 5 years ago I pre-ordered a "real Easter ham” at the German butcher and what I got was a ready to eat ham. I could have bought the same thing at the supermarket for a fraction of the price. I have given up on finding a farmer's ham. There are still partially smoked cottage rolls and pork picnics. Though come to think of it I have not seen a pork picnic for a couple of years now. They are more flavorful and definitely require cooking, but unfortunately they are full of bone and  can be fatty.  

Ready to Eat Hams are almost ready to eat. Most people roast them in the oven at a low temperature. You only need 325F for 18-20 minutes per pound and until a meat thermometer registers 140F. Slow boiling would simply drain this type of ham of flavor and render it dry. Ready to eat ham requires a gentler approach.

Easter Ham from Ready To Eat

whole or a section of Cook's Ham 
2 eggs per person

  • Put a large pot of water to the boil.
  • Carefully slide the ham into the boiling water.
  • Bring it back to the boil and reduce the heat to slow simmer.
  • Simmer until a knife slides into the ham easily. Depending on the size this can be as little as 10 minutes or half an hour. But be sure to not leave it unattended.
  • When the knife slides in with ease at the thickest part, slide in the eggs. 
  • Bring the water back to simmer, cover the pot and remove it from heat immediately.
  • Don’t lift the lid for twenty minutes.
  • After twenty minutes remove the lid and let the whole pot cool down. 
  • Remove the ham, wrap and refrigerate. Ham will slice better chilled.
  • Peel the eggs, wrap and refrigerate.
  • To serve, slice the ham and arrange on a platter.
  • Serve the eggs whole in a serving bowl.
  • No Ann, this is not breakfast. 



2 comments:

  1. I love ham so I had some this Easter too. It was just too much work to deal with the leftovers of a whole turkey (even a small 12 lb one) when you're on your own. I buy the smoked picnic should 'ham'. It's still a lot of meat but manageable time wise. I made a bunch of desserts with my free time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoked picnic is the tastiest ham version. Apparently I live in the wrong city. :D

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive