image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

4.11.15

ITALIAN RICE BALLS


This delicious take on rice and the chance to reinvent a constant leftover around the house opened up a brand new possibility. I cook rice often, Olivia has it with her crispies and sautéed carrots, so we always have leftover rice in the fridge and frankly, Jimre and I got tired of fried rice and rizskóh. In the case of rizskóh I just add whipping cream] But for any other rice dish, I would need more rice.

Serve Italian rice balls as a side or as a snack. They are great with or without sauce. I didn’t quite figure out if Italian rice balls were made with a stickier [cheaper] rice or that my rice making skills were the culprit, but I found these were not so easy to make. Plus the rice was a leftover, perhaps freshly cooked, warm rice would stick together more willingly, but boy I am glad I tried this recipe, because it was delicious, especially the following day. This just moved into my comfort food category and I will be looking forward to making it again. “Don’t crowd the fry pan”, no kidding, I had several balls fall apart on me. 

Italian Rice Balls

2 cup cooked rice
2 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
finely chopped parsley
Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs
oil for frying

  • Place the fine breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and set aside.
  • Combine the rice, eggs, cheese, parsley, seasoning and salt.
  • With wet hands scoop up a heaping Tbsp of rice and press it into a ball.
  • Place it in the breadcrumbs.
  • Roll two more balls and place it in the breadcrumbs.
  • At this point you will have to wash your hands.
  • Coat the 3 rice balls with breadcrumbs and set it aside.
  • Wash the hands again and make 3 more rice balls.
  • Continue the process until all the rice used up.
  • In a large non-stick skillet heat up the oil on medium heat.
  • Fry the rice balls 4-5 at a time. Do not crowd the pan, or the rice balls will fall apart.
  • Gently turn rice balls with a fork for even browning.
  • Drain on paper towels and serve warm.

You don't need a lot of oil to fry these. But most definitely, don't crowd the pan like this. From this batch I had 4 rice balls fall apart.

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive