- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the coconuts in a baking pan.
- Place in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Stir it and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile cream together the butter and the icing sugar until very smooth. Do not beat the butter until frothy, but no lumps of butter should remain.
- Add the vanilla and coconut extracts and stir to combine.
- Next, whisk the flour and the cornstarch.
- Blend it slowly into the creamed mixture until dough forms.
- Add the toasted coconut and stir to combine.
- Roll the dough into a 2-inch diameter log. Wrap and chill for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Unwrap and slice with a sharp chef’s knife into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Arrange on the prepared cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Let the cookies settle before transferring them to a wire rack cool.
- Yield about 2 dozen cookies.
TOASTED COCONUT SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Buttery shortbread is a teatime favourite of mine and toasted coconut adds a new pleasure to this cookie classic. Toasting coconuts is a simple task and the exceptional flavour and aroma it gives to shortbread is worth the extra steps. It is best in small batches, the cookie log can be frozen, these are best freshly baked as they loose some of their aroma after a couple of days.
Toasted Coconut Shortbread Cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1/4 cup cornstarch
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cups fine cut coconut, lightly toasted
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!