29.5.22

EGGNOG CAKE BAR

Are you going to keep this? It’s been here since Christmas. Said he when he picked up a small container labeled 1-1/2 cups eggnog from the top basket of the freezer. Give it to me. Said I, and put it on the counter to thaw. Then I looked for a recipe on line. Four eggs… that will do! Then I went about setting out the eggs and the butter to soften. I noticed right away the frosting would be too much so I put out half the butter the recipe called for. I didn’t see the copious amount of sugar, 2 whole cups, until I was into making it. We will half that of course. But that was not all I left out. I also left out half the oil… too much fat. Then I left out a whole teaspoon of salt, what was it to combat all the sugar? NO salt! It’s a cake. I also left out the vanilla extract. It would just muddle the eggnog flavour. What sort of chef wrote this recipe? Should I acknowledge the chef? Better Not. 

After all that the cake bar turned out lovely! I used a rectangular cake pan, upon reflection I could have used a square pan. Would I make it again? I would if I lived long enough. But when I look over how many cakes I made during the last decade, I have to admit at seventy three… there is not much time left for repeats. Good thing the weather is nice and a food lover is coming over for a backyard visit today. The cake will be eaten. We relaxed a bit of late, I no longer wipe down everything that comes in the house and started to pick up my grocery orders instead of delivery, But compared to the majority we are still in lockdown. Covid of course is not yet done with humanity. I predict the coming fall will be particularly bad. Meanwhile here is my version of a delightful cake, it could come handy much later. I am always late... always, like now.

EGGNOG CAKE BAR 
Cake: 
2/3 cup unsalted butter, soft 
1/3 cup oil 
1 cup sugar 
4 eggs, room temperature
2 cups cake flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
2/3 cup eggnog 
Frosting: 
1/3 cup butter, soft 
1-1/2 cups icing sugar 
2 Tbsp eggnog 

• Preheat oven to 350F. 
• Fully line a square baking pan. [I used a rectangular cake pan]
• Add the butter, oil and sugar to the beater bowl and beat until soft and fluffy.
• Add the eggs one by one, fully incorporating after each one. 
• In a separate bowl whisk together the cake flour and baking powder. 
• Lower the speed of your beater and begin to add the cake flour mixture alternating with the eggnog. 
• When fully incorporated, scrape down the sides of the beater bowl, increase the speed and give it half a minute of beating. 
• Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with an offset spatula. Place in the preheated oven and bake until top has a resistance when touched. 
• Remove cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. 
• When the cake is fully cooled down, prepare the frosting. If you make it ahead, be sure to whip it again before frosting the cake. 
• In a clean beater bowl whip the butter and icing sugar to a fluffy consistency. 
• Add the eggnog gradually, beating well after each addition. 
• Whip it well and spread the frosting on top of the cake.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!