image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

12.3.13

CHOCOLATE SWISS ROLL – CSOKOLÁDÉS TEKERCS

 
Hurray for “in service day”! Decorated over the top, Liv had a lot of fun with this one. We melted far more chocolate than was necessary, but none went to waste. With two chocoholics in my life, one full time and one part time, after 700 plus recipes it is increasingly difficult to come up with a new chocolate idea. The inspiration came from here, but it was much easier to use my own recipes. My piskóta [foam cake] was adjusted and more can be found on melting the chocolate here. I watched the creation of chocolate garnish wistfully, but when a nine year old is on a mission you cannot interfere with the creative process. This little cake did not last long and in the end I had to insist to save a couple of slices for the next couple of days of afterschool snacks.
 
56 g [2 oz or 2 squares] good quality baking chocolate or melting chocolate
parchment paper
1 small heavy Ziploc bag
 
6 eggs separated
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup cake flour
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
2 Tbsp icing sugar
2 batches of stabilized whipped cream – the full recipe is here
Please note: two batches of stabilized whipped cream calls for 2 cups + 4 Tbsp of whipping cream. Unless you are drowning in whipping cream, for convenience’s sake, use a 500 ml cartoon, [that is 2 cups] and steal 4 Tbsp from it. The cream will work out just fine.
 
• Temper the chocolate first. Method is here. I am a firm believer of good quality chocolate, but if tempering chocolate is not an attractive proposition, go ahead and use melting chocolate instead.
• Next make the chocolate garnishes.
• Draw some designs on a sheet of white paper or cut and paste the enclosed design onto a word document and print only one sheet.
• Lay it on a tray and cover the entire tray with parchment paper.
• Place a heavy plastic bag inside a cup and with a cake spatula scoop a small amount of melted chocolate into your “piping bag”. Squeeze so the chocolate works its way to the tip.
• Pipe over the design you made.
• Gently move the design under the parchment paper until the parchment paper is all used up.
• Let the chocolate solidify and move the tray into the fridge to chill.
• Meanwhile make the chocolate roll.
• Beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon coloured.
• Stir the flour and the cocoa into the yolk mix.
• Wash the beaters and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Gently incorporate the egg whites with the yolk mixture.
• Line a large, rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
• Spray the parchment with cooking spray. Do not omit this step.
• Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet.
• Gently smooth out the top.
• Bake at 350F until the middle springs back.
• Scatter icing sugar on a clean tea towel, the same size as the cake.
• Carefully invert cake over sugar and peel away the base paper.
• Using towel to guide, roll up from the short side and leave to cool.
• When the cake is cooled down to room temperature, make the stabilized whipping cream.
• Carefully unroll cake.
• Spread the top with a thick layer of stabilized whipped cream.
• Re-roll the cake and place, seam-side down, on a long platter.
• Using a piping bag, pipe the remaining whipped cream on top of the cake.
• Decorate with the chocolate garnishes.
• Serve the cake cut into slices.
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I love all the chocolate decorations. You have quite the little artist there.

    A swiss roll is on my bucket list of things to make one day. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly, that is a really gorgeous cake Zsuzsa, and how nice to have such an enthusiastic helper. I used to love helping my Mom in the kitchen when I was a kid. The chocolate decorations are quite lovely, even if it's a little overboard (can you really say overboard when it comes to chocolate?)
    These are the simple cakes I love that remind me of my childhood. My mom would make jam filled piskota tekercs with whipped cream at least once per month. Sometimes she would flavour the whipped cream with cocoa powder as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, swiss roll is the easiest cakes to finish and to decorate. You can fill it with jam, buttercream, whipped cream, some type of fuit curd or and/or fruit. Dust the top with icing sugar or pour some kind of glaze over it. Oh and there is chocolate glaze, cocoa powder sifted on top and of course chocolate garnish. I am looking forward to yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah yes Eva, I am very lucky with the help I get these days. She makes palacsinta and with a little assistance she makes marhaporkolt with nokedli. I have the photos of her cooking, but of course I can't post them here. I just let her do her thing, that is how it's fun to learn. I hated the joe-jobs my grandma gave me in the kitchen. So when I left home I didn't even know how to make tea. My husband had to teach me some of the basics and let me tell you he was never a cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that there is another great baker and confectioner growing in your family! The cake looks amazing with the chocolate decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sissi! I showed Olivia all your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive