13.3.13

SKILLET SWEET AND SOUR PORK CHOPS

We love sweet and sour pork, but the meat is deep fried and the sauce contains a lot of sugar. Wanting a lighter alternative I looked on line and found a great recipe. I made it three times, the first time I added soya sauce, which was a mistake, because my sauce turned brown. Next to the flavours the beauty of this dish is its fresh colors. The second time I had no yellow bells. It tasted good with green peppers too, but I preferred it with yellow bells. The following time I made it I had plenty of yellow bells, but only one pork chop. [I ate scrambled eggs] This time I had four chops, but someone swiped one before I had time to make the sauce. Which is quite a feat considering the whole thing took only fifteen minutes to prepare. “Swiper no swiping!” High time I wrote down the recipe. Talking about Swiper doing his deeds, meanwhile “Almost Burden” that had the original recipe seems to have disappeared from the blogsphere. Where is Dora when you need her?
 
SKILLET SWEET AND SOUR PORK CHOPS 
4 boneless pork chops
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into long strips
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2+1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1-1/2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp Heinz Ketchup
salt to taste
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 tsp corn starch
1 Tbsp water
 
• Cut off the fat and wash the pork chops under cold running water.
• Wipe them dry with paper towels.
• Make sure the chops are the same thickness. Use a meat tenderizer to pound them to even thickness.
• Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a non stick frying pan.
• Add the pork chops and pan fry until brown on both sides and cooked through [approximately 3 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your chops].
• Remove the chops and set them aside
• Add 1 Tbsp of oil to the same frying pan.
• Add the onions, bell pepper strips and the green peas [in that order] and stir fry for a minute.
• With a slotted spoon remove the vegetables and set them aside.
• Add water, rice wine vinegar, sugar, ketchup, salt, Worcestershire sauce to the frying pan.
• In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1 Tbsp of water.
• Add the corn starch water to the frying pan and bring to a boil.
• Simmer the sauce, stirring often until the sauce is bright red.
• Add the chops and then the reserved vegetables to the sauce and heat through.
• Serve immediately.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!