STRAWBERRY YOGURT CAKE
Last week I made some forgettable cream puff - strawberry shortcakes. The strawberries had no flavour and we were debating with Ann if I should have added a contrasting flavour, either chocolate or some lemon curd, but then I dismissed the idea. Strawberry shortcake should taste like strawberries and anything else that may be added should be a plus and not a replacement for lack of flavour. There was a brief time before Valentines Day that the strawberries were actually palatable, otherwise the last good quality strawberries we had were several months back in 2012. Still, I could not let go of my strawberry craving, so I broke down and bought another pound last Sunday. Thinking that it was still not the time for strawberry shortcakes, I made a strawberry yoghurt cake from my to-do file. I had a plan. If the strawberries were not flavourful enough; I was going to add a few pinches of strawberry jello mix to define the flavour. But as it turned out this wasn’t necessary. The strawberries had an intense flavour; I felt almost guilty crushing them up.
Indeed this is a lovely gelatinous cake, the strawberry layer set within 3 hours, but nevertheless an extra night gave it a chance to become an actual cake, not simply a gelatine dessert on a cake. Source: Baking with Sibella
3 egg whites
smidgen of salt
4 Tbsp sugar 4
1/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla sugar
2 cups plain 2% yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest [optional]
1 lb fresh strawberries
2 envelopes of plain gelatine
4 Tbsp water more strawberries for decoration [optional]
• Make the cake first.
• Preheat oven to 365 F
• Line a 9 inch spring form cake pan with parchment paper.
• Add smidgen of salt to the egg whites and beat them until fluffy.
• Add the sugar and beat few minutes more.
• Combine flour and baking powder and fold it into the egg white mixture by hand.
• Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
• Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. • Cool completely.
• Remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake and return the cake to the form. I washed the cake pan first.
• While the cake cools make the strawberry layer.
• Put 4 tbsp cold water in a small cooking pot, empty contents of 2 packages of gelatine envelops into it, mix it so there is no crumbs. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
• Whip the cream until dense, add sugar and whip for one more minute. Place it in the fridge.
• Next wash the strawberries, remove stems, put into blender and blend until liquid.
• Pour the pureed strawberries into a bowl.
• Add the yogurt, lemon zest and sugar to the strawberries and mix by hand until smooth. Set it aside.
• Place the cooking pot with the gelatine on the stove and lightly heat it, only until dissolved, do not let it boil!
• Remove from heat.
• Add to it about 1/2 cup of the strawberry yogurt mixture to the melted gelatine and mix well.
• Now pour the gelatine mixture into the remaining yogurt mixture.
• Gently fold the chilled whipped cream into the strawberry mixture until it looks like a strawberry smoothie.
• Pour the strawberry mixture on top of the cake. Filling will be liquid and that is ok.
• Refrigerate for 3 hours or best overnight.
• Remove spring form ring, decorate the cake with whipped cream and strawberries.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)