image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

14.3.13

STRAWBERRY YOGURT CAKE



Last week I made some forgettable cream puff - strawberry shortcakes. The strawberries had no flavour and we were debating with Ann if I should have added a contrasting flavour, either chocolate or some lemon curd, but then I dismissed the idea. Strawberry shortcake should taste like strawberries and anything else that may be added should be a plus and not a replacement for lack of flavour. There was a brief time before Valentines Day that the strawberries were actually palatable, otherwise the last good quality strawberries we had were several months back in 2012. Still, I could not let go of my strawberry craving, so I broke down and bought another pound last Sunday. Thinking that it was still not the time for strawberry shortcakes, I made a strawberry yoghurt cake from my to-do file. I had a plan. If the strawberries were not flavourful enough; I was going to add a few pinches of strawberry jello mix to define the flavour. But as it turned out this wasn’t necessary. The strawberries had an intense flavour; I felt almost guilty crushing them up.
 
Indeed this is a lovely gelatinous cake, the strawberry layer set within 3 hours, but nevertheless an extra night gave it a chance to become an actual cake, not simply a gelatine dessert on a cake. Source: Baking with Sibella
 
Cake Layer:
3 egg whites
smidgen of salt
4 Tbsp sugar 4
Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
 
Strawberry Layer:
1-1/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla sugar
2 cups plain 2% yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest [optional]
1 lb fresh strawberries
2 envelopes of plain gelatine
4 Tbsp water more strawberries for decoration [optional]
 
• Make the cake first.
• Preheat oven to 365 F
• Line a 9 inch spring form cake pan with parchment paper.
• Add smidgen of salt to the egg whites and beat them until fluffy.
• Add the sugar and beat few minutes more.
• Combine flour and baking powder and fold it into the egg white mixture by hand.
• Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
• Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. • Cool completely.
• Remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake and return the cake to the form. I washed the cake pan first.
• While the cake cools make the strawberry layer.
• Put 4 tbsp cold water in a small cooking pot, empty contents of 2 packages of gelatine envelops into it, mix it so there is no crumbs. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
• Whip the cream until dense, add sugar and whip for one more minute. Place it in the fridge.
• Next wash the strawberries, remove stems, put into blender and blend until liquid.
• Pour the pureed strawberries into a bowl.
• Add the yogurt, lemon zest and sugar to the strawberries and mix by hand until smooth. Set it aside.
• Place the cooking pot with the gelatine on the stove and lightly heat it, only until dissolved, do not let it boil!
• Remove from heat.
• Add to it about 1/2 cup of the strawberry yogurt mixture to the melted gelatine and mix well.
• Now pour the gelatine mixture into the remaining yogurt mixture.
• Gently fold the chilled whipped cream into the strawberry mixture until it looks like a strawberry smoothie.
• Pour the strawberry mixture on top of the cake. Filling will be liquid and that is ok.
• Refrigerate for 3 hours or best overnight.
• Remove spring form ring, decorate the cake with whipped cream and strawberries.

 

8 comments:

  1. What a nice looking 'cake' and I love strawberries too. You know how I like to lighten things up, I'm wondering if the whipping cream is actually necessary, and instead, can you replace it with an Italian meringue (cooked meringue)? I am going to give this one a try when the Ontario strawberries are ripe. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made a set gelatine type cake like this but I think it's a perfect dessert to make when the local strawberries are in season in Ontario like Eva. I have a bag of frozen ones but it seems a shame not to use fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. Yes the local strawberries are fresher and much tastier. Occasionally you can luck out though.

    Eva, the whipping cream is whipped, so it actually adds some body to the gelatine layer. Let me know if Italian meringue worked for you. If it does, I will make a mention in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful refreshing strawberry cake! How come you already have strawberries? (Well we do have but they are tasteless and loaded with chemical stuff).
    It looks like a much richer and much more elaborate cousin of my Super-Light Strawberry and Yogurt Mousse (http://www.withaglass.com/?p=10563). I prepare mine all summer long (it's so light, I can have it even twice a day ;-) ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always have strawberries but it is not always good. We can generally count on good strawberries for Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, Mother's Day and when they are in season either locally or in California. Thanks for the link Sissi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zsuzsa, This looks like such a light, creamy dessert! A perfect dessert for spring and summer!! It’s hard to think spring right now, when we are getting another blast from winter!
    I’m thinking this would be a lovely dessert for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the type of dessert that Bobby and I really love! First it's fruity, but then it's not heavy. I love the lightness of this pie! We're entering strawberry season, so this is perfect! Thanks of sharing it Cake/Pie lady!

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive