image

image

MY COOKBOOK

30.3.14

LAMINGTONS - KÓKUSZKOCKA


There goes a popular Hungarian sweet; it turns out to be Australian after all. I just found out what I always thought of as Hungarian kókuszkocka is Australian lamingtons. AllllRighty Then.

 

Lamingtons are squares of sponge cake coated in a layer of chocolate sauce and then rolled into desiccated coconut. It is an easy enough confection. I dipped the cakes into the chocolate sauce by hand and immediately rolled them into the coconut. It was a bit messy, but fun. If you don’t time it well, the chocolate sauce can solidify and will not be dip-able. Melt it slightly in the microwave; do not add more milk, because the additional moisture will soak your cakes. 

For the sponge cake: 
1/4 cup butter 
1 cup sugar 
1 egg 
2 Tbsp honey 
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract 
2 cups self rising flour
200 ml milk 

For the Chocolate Sauce: 

scant 1 cup butter 
1 cup sugar 
1/4 cup milk 
scant 1/2 cup cocoa 
1 Tbsp rum 

1 cup medium unsweetened coconut 

• Preheat the oven to 350F. 
• Line a square baking pan with parchment paper. 
• Whip the butter, sugar, egg and the honey for 4-5 minutes. 
• Stir in the vanilla. 
• Fold the flour into the egg mixture and stir in the milk. 
• Beat to combine only. 
• Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. 
• Remove from oven and let the cake cool completely. 
• When cool, transfer cake to a cutting board and remove the parchment. 
• Cut the cake into squares. 
• In a small pot melt the butter. 
• Add the sugar, milk and the cocoa. 
• Add the rum and whisk to combine. 
• Place the coconut into a shallow baking dish. 
• Using your hands to dip the lamingtons into the chocolate sauce, rolling them around to make sure each side is coated. 
• One by one roll the lamingtons into the coconut, tossing them around gently to get them coated on all sides. 
• Place the lamingtons side by side on a wire rack and let them stand until the coatings firms up a little bit.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Zsuzsa!!!! I am making this today with my son, he is five and loves to help. My grandma used to make this for us. I haven't had it in such a long time! The recipes I found in Hungarian I didn't really know how to convert to English measurements. Thank you for taking the time to write it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! :-)

      Delete
  2. It's always nice seeing treats from other cultures and this one seems pretty straightforward to make even with the timing dependent dipping into the coconut. You must be making it as a treat for your coconut-loving daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I made made it with Leilah in mind.

      Delete
  3. As a proud Hungarian-Polish-Australian I am a lover of lamingtons ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maia so good to see you again! For a longest time I was unable to post on your blog. I just checked it out and there is a way now. Hope you are well and see you around!

      Delete
  4. Zsuzsa, I'm not familiar with the Lamington squares...but they sure do look inspiring, and amazingly delicious. I love coconut flakes, and these sure are inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how this came to Hungary from Australia, but I remember seeing these at the Erkel Cukraszda.

      Delete
  5. Hi Zsuzsa, I think the recipe is missing the baking poweder? the cake did not work, was a hard flat mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for your troubles Agi. There were two things wrong with the recipe, one oversight and one typo. The typo was the milk, I had 00ml milk, the 2 got stuck up on the previous line. The other is the flour. It should have read self rising flour. It is corrected now. I do appreciate you letting me know this and once again, sorry for the mess it caused.

      Delete
    2. thank you for the update, tried this recipe again tonight and it was perfect!

      Delete
    3. What a relief. Thank you for your confidence in me and letting me know. I already set out the ingredients for trying it out tomorrow morning, now I won't have to. It really bothered me it didn't work for you. The original recipe was a very old cut out and I crossed out the baking powder. It was a bit later I realized that I wrote on the back "self ris". I think I must have reasoned that I wanted a level cake for uniform cubes.

      Delete
  6. I am very familiar with these squares, but made Maltese style. My Maltese husband remembers buying them for a penny on the way to school in the morning. I make them with my sponge cake recipe. The mixture that they are dipped in is strawberry jello that has been allowed to set for about 20 minutes. Then immediately rolled in coconut. The beautiful red jello shows through the coconut and is especially attractive to children. I have also used cherry jello. I would think that one could use whichever flavour they prefer. I am going to try the Hungarian chocolate ones next. ;)

    ReplyDelete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

regarding comments

Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.

Blog Archive