TEN LAYER CAKE
As long as I can remember every Sunday afternoon there was the same cake on our table; three thick layers of piskóta with thin layers of cocoa buttercream in between. I looked forward to my Other Grandmother’s Sunday visit. She always brought us a large bag of fresh popcorn.
I ate the popcorn, but I don’t think I ever touched the cake. First of all, you can’t have the same thing all the time, because it becomes boring. Plus the thickness of the cake should be in balance with the buttercream. Too much buttercream and the cake is revolting. Not enough buttercream and even the best piskóta will be dry. When it comes to cake, balance is everything.
My "Other Grandma", Jolán
I looked over several versions of ten layered cakes, but I learned from experience that not every picture will match the recipe. I wasn’t sure how evaporated milk will taste in the cream, so rather than taking a chance, I opted for one of my own recipes. I baked ten 7 inch piskóta layers and made a batch of simple cocoa buttercream. I put them together and there you have it a ten layer cake. If I can add one more thing to the recipe, the layers should be VERY thin.
1 batch of piskóta for the recipe click HERE
1 batch of cocoa buttercream for the recipe click HERE
• So just spread everything very, very thin.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- COCONUT LOAF CAKE
- BACON ORZO
- LAMINGTONS - KÓKUSZKOCKA
- SEMOLINA – GRÍZ
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- SMOKED PORK PICNIC SHOULDER BAKED
- TEN LAYER CAKE
- BOSTON CREAM PIE
- CORN PUDDING
- APPLE STRUDEL - ALMÁSRÉTES
- RASPBERRY BUTTERMILK CAKE
- CREAMY PARSNIP
- SAUTÉED GREEN BEENS WITH ALMONDS
- MAPLE MUSTARD SALMON
- GOLDEN DUMPLING – ARANYGALUSKA
- VANILLA CRESCENT - VANÍLIÁS KIFLI
- SUPERFAST BAKED POTATOES
- VEGETABLE CARBONARA
- MARIA’S CHILI CON CARNE
- WILTED SPINACH WITH GARLIC
- BEAN SALSA
- COCONUT COOKIE ROLL - KÓKUSZOS KEKSZTEKERCS
- POPPY SEED BREAD - MÁKOS GUBA
- MONT BLANC LAYER CAKE
- ▼ March (24)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)