TEN LAYER CAKE
As long as I can remember every Sunday afternoon there was the same cake on our table; three thick layers of piskóta with thin layers of cocoa buttercream in between. I looked forward to my Other Grandmother’s Sunday visit. She always brought us a large bag of fresh popcorn.
I ate the popcorn, but I don’t think I ever touched the cake. First of all, you can’t have the same thing all the time, because it becomes boring. Plus the thickness of the cake should be in balance with the buttercream. Too much buttercream and the cake is revolting. Not enough buttercream and even the best piskóta will be dry. When it comes to cake, balance is everything.
My "Other Grandma", Jolán
I looked over several versions of ten layered cakes, but I learned from experience that not every picture will match the recipe. I wasn’t sure how evaporated milk will taste in the cream, so rather than taking a chance, I opted for one of my own recipes. I baked ten 7 inch piskóta layers and made a batch of simple cocoa buttercream. I put them together and there you have it a ten layer cake. If I can add one more thing to the recipe, the layers should be VERY thin.
1 batch of piskóta for the recipe click HERE
1 batch of cocoa buttercream for the recipe click HERE
• So just spread everything very, very thin.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.
- COCONUT LOAF CAKE
- BACON ORZO
- LAMINGTONS - KÓKUSZKOCKA
- SEMOLINA – GRÍZ
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
- SMOKED PORK PICNIC SHOULDER BAKED
- TEN LAYER CAKE
- BOSTON CREAM PIE
- CORN PUDDING
- APPLE STRUDEL - ALMÁSRÉTES
- RASPBERRY BUTTERMILK CAKE
- CREAMY PARSNIP
- SAUTÉED GREEN BEENS WITH ALMONDS
- MAPLE MUSTARD SALMON
- GOLDEN DUMPLING – ARANYGALUSKA
- VANILLA CRESCENT - VANÍLIÁS KIFLI
- SUPERFAST BAKED POTATOES
- VEGETABLE CARBONARA
- MARIA’S CHILI CON CARNE
- WILTED SPINACH WITH GARLIC
- BEAN SALSA
- COCONUT COOKIE ROLL - KÓKUSZOS KEKSZTEKERCS
- POPPY SEED BREAD - MÁKOS GUBA
- MONT BLANC LAYER CAKE
- ▼ March (24)
- ► 2013 (108)
- ► 2012 (293)
- ► 2011 (180)
- ► 2010 (208)