image

image

MY COOKBOOK

25.3.14

TEN LAYER CAKE



As long as I can remember every Sunday afternoon there was the same cake on our table; three thick layers of piskóta with thin layers of cocoa buttercream in between. I looked forward to my Other Grandmother’s Sunday visit. She always brought us a large bag of fresh popcorn.

My "Other Grandma", Jolán

I ate the popcorn, but I don’t think I ever touched the cake. First of all, you can’t have the same thing all the time, because it becomes boring. Plus the thickness of the cake should be in balance with the buttercream. Too much buttercream and the cake is revolting. Not enough buttercream and even the best piskóta will be dry. When it comes to cake, balance is everything. 

I looked over several versions of ten layered cakes, but I learned from experience that not every picture will match the recipe. I wasn’t sure how evaporated milk will taste in the cream, so rather than taking a chance, I opted for one of my own recipes. I baked ten 7 inch piskóta layers and made a batch of simple cocoa buttercream. I put them together and there you have it a ten layer cake. If I can add one more thing to the recipe, the layers should be VERY thin. 

1 batch of piskóta for the recipe click HERE 
1 batch of cocoa buttercream for the recipe click HERE 

• So just spread everything very, very thin.







10 comments:

  1. We have several birthdays in July, I will make this yummy cake if my psa allows it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsa, this gorgeous 10 layer cake reminds me of the Dobos Torta, but without the Caramel sugar topping! So incredible and a spectacular creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzsa, This cake is gorgeous and your tips are wonderful! It makes me want to give it a try!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was an easy cake Kathy.

      Delete
  4. The cake is beautiful though a bit more elaborate than I'm comfortable with on a regular basis. Maybe during the summer when I've had a lot of rest and free time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is too elaborate for a creative cook like you Maria! You make the most amazing and complex things, just not cakes. That's alright. :-)

      Delete
  5. another AMAZING cake, my dear cake lady!!!! I'm sure it's delicious! Love the picture of your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peach Lady! Aren't the old black and white photos better? I love old photos. The gray tone can make most photos look better, except food. Food is most inviting in color.

      Delete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

regarding comments

Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.

Blog Archive