image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

11.3.14

VEGETABLE CARBONARA


You can cook this up in a real hurry. It is delicious and is full of good things. It’s a fusion of Italian vegetable carbonara and Hungarian tojásos nokedli. This is one of those rare dishes I enjoy with commercial whole wheat pasta. Grate some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on the top. Never use grated cheese products; they are full of additives and fillers and never taste as good as real cheese.

Finally there is that bright light we missed so much. This was the longest and gloomiest winter I can remember. The forecast says it will go up to +12 [Celsius] by the afternoon. Looks like spring is finally here. 

whole wheat pasta for two
1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped fresh vegetables
fresh basil, chopped
1 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
greated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for topping

• Cook pasta as directed.
• Meanwhile chop the vegetables into uniform thickness, rinse and drain.
• In a large non stick skillet, sauté the vegetables in olive oil on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
• Remove from heat, cover and set them aside.
• Drain the cooked pasta in a large colander.
• Transfer the drained pasta back into the pot it was cooked in.
• Add the vegetables and the chopped basil and toss gently.  • Adjust the salt.
• In a small bowl whisk the egg until well combined.
• Put the pot back on low heat and then gently stir in the whisked egg.
• Heat the dish through.
• Finally season the pasta with freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle it with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and serve.

6 comments:

  1. The dish sounds healthy and flavourful with the whole wheat pasta and veggies. I love the picture of the flowers and sun in the background. We haven't seen much of the sun this winter. And, after several mild and sunny days, snow showers predicted tonight with below freezing temps ... arghhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have we Maria. This was a dreadful winter. We have not seen the sun for 3 whole months. This was most unusual. Today started with gloomy skies again, sigh, although the snow is no longer a concern where I live. [B.C. is a big province with varied climate zones.] I can't wait for the steady good weather, we have been sun deprived. People should just stop calling the new weather global warming. We are into global climate change and lots of unpredictable weather events. This wasn't the winter we have been accustomed to in Kamloops. This winter simply sucked.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that you've had a bit of spring Zsuzsa, mother nature sent us a tease of day with yesterday, with temperatures rising to the mid teens celcius, but today all hell has broken loose with temperatures dropping to -15°C (-27°C with wind chill) later tonight, but not without a good dose of snow today…we've already had a good 15-20cm dumping and it's still going strong. JT and I are planning our second shovel later this afternoon, hopefully it will be the last of the season. I am so sick of it.
    Those flowers are lovely and a beautiful reminder of spring; I have tulips sitting on the dining room table and as soon as they begin to wilt, I will buy some more, this weather will NOT get me down…yet.
    The carbonara sounds and looks very delicious and you are so right, I never buy pre-grated cheese, I usually buy cheese when it's on sale and grate it myself into zip lock bags into the freezer. If you mush the cheese around in the zip lock bag every so often as it freezes, it won't get into clumps.
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that snow and we are in March! I finally put away my winter coat and warm boots -- spring is here. I really feel for you Eva... Give it time and you too will be basking in the sun.

      Delete
  3. Zsuzsa, so sorry for not commenting in a while...sok minden össze jött nálam...el vesztettem az e-mail cimedet...irjál, és majd levélben el mesélem!

    I am so impressed with your vegetable carbonara, I would never had imagined adding vegetables. I must make this real soon! I love, love, each and every recipe I've missed since I last commented on your blog the Coconut chocolate roll is awesome, and the beautiful 'light as feather' cake, as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisabeth you are most kind.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive