1.4.14

GNOCCHI


Sometimes you just want something a bit different and easy. Take this un-Italian gnocchi I made. This gnocchi is very much like Hungarian nudli, except not rolled and without the toasted breadcrumbs coating. Italian gnocchi is a naked nudli and you can’t get any more naked than that. This version is simple, I don’t mess around with rolling the dough; I just chop, chop, chop. But it tastes the same. When I gave it to him the man said “What no breadcrumbs?” I liked this naked nudli, gnocchi, potato pasta or whatdoyoucall this thing that it is. 

Today is April Fool’s Day. I love to laugh, but I hate practical jokes. There is nothing practical about practical jokes. The humor comes from getting people to trust you and then you punish them for it. I am no fun when it comes to practical jokes. You get no “April Fool's Day!” from me. Take the following video. It slowly builds up with cultural observations and presents them in funny, imaginative ways. This IS funny. Stepping into a slipper filled with catchup is NOT funny. That’s as far as I am willing to mark this crazy day. Have a nice one!

   
Potatoes or Pasta? 

GNOCCHI

3 large red potatoes 
2-1/4 cups flour 
1 egg, extra large 
1 pinch salt 
1/8 cup slightly melted butter 
1/4 cup melted butter for serving
freshly grated parmesan [optional] 

• Boil the whole potatoes until they are soft 
• Let them cool down and mash them. 
• Add the egg, flour and the salt and the slightly melted 1/8 cup butter. [butter should not be hot] 
• Mix to form dough. 
• Place the dough on a well floured cutting board. 
• Knead the dough gently until a smooth ball is formed. 
• Put a large pot of water to the boil. 
• Roll the dough into 3/4-inch diameter dowels and cut the dowels into 1-inch long pieces. 
• Drop the pieces into the boiling water and cook until they float to the top. 
• Drain the gnocchi and toss with 1/4 cup of melted butter and serve.


Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!