image

image

MY COOKBOOK

1.4.14

GNOCCHI


This is a not really gnocchi kind of gnocchi. Sometimes you just want something a bit different and easy. Take this un-Italian gnocchi I made. This gnocchi is very much like Hungarian nudli, except not rolled and without the toasted breadcrumb coating. Italian gnocchi is a naked nudli and you can’t get any more naked than that. This version is simple, I don’t mess around with rolling the dough; I just chop chop chop. But it tastes the same. When I gave it to him the man said “What no breadcrumbs?” I liked this naked nudli, gnocchi, potato pasta or whatdoyoucall this thing that it was. 

Today is April Fool’s Day. I love to laugh, but I hate practical jokes. There is nothing practical about practical jokes. The humor comes from getting people to trust you and then you punish them for it. I am no fun when it comes to practical jokes. You get no “April Fool's Day!” from me. Take the following video. It slowly builds up with cultural observations and presents them in funny, imaginative ways. This IS funny. Stepping into a slipper filled with catchup is NOT funny. That’s as far as I am willing to mark this crazy day. Have a nice one!

   
Potatoes or Pasta? 

3 large red potatoes 
2-1/4 cups flour 
1 egg, extra large 
1 pinch salt 
1/8 cup slightly melted butter 
1/4 cup melted butter for serving
freshly grated parmesan [optional] 

• Boil the whole potatoes until they are soft 
• Let them cool down and mash them. 
• Add the egg, flour and the salt and the slightly melted 1/8 cup butter. [butter should not be hot] 
• Mix to form dough. 
• Place the dough on a well floured cutting board. 
• Knead the dough gently until a smooth ball is formed. 
• Put a large pot of water to the boil. 
• Roll the dough into 3/4-inch diameter dowels and cut the dowels into 1-inch long pieces. 
• Drop the pieces into the boiling water and cook until they float to the top. 
• Drain the gnocchi and toss with 1/4 cup of melted butter and serve.


7 comments:

  1. I've only made gnocchi once. They were good but I know I can do better next time. I love the expression and look of your "naked nudli". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nudli is shaped similar to gnocchi and rolled into toasted breadcrumbs. In Hungarian nudli also means little boy's penis. :-) Take a look at my link of Hungarian nudli.

      Delete
  2. LOL. It's been a while since I saw a little boy's .... anywhoo, the crumb coating does make them look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting... no wonder my mum never called it that! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what did she call it?

      Delete
  4. Zsuzsa, I recall making nudli with my father, who was a better cook than my mother! She was an amazing cake baker. She made the most amazing tortas...especial the Dobos, with a perfect burnt sugar topping, and donuts...to 'die for'...I remember as a kid in the fifth grade, here in the U.S. she had me take homemade donuts to school for bake sale, when other kids took cookies...her donuts were the best seller; and to think I was embarrassed...'why the donuts?'...when everybody took cookies?

    I don't make homemade gnocchi, my son-in-law makes the best ones for his restaurant, and we get some from him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth anyone who can make donuts is a cook in my books. But what a wonderful memory it must have been cooking with your dad. Ah immigrant parents children feel peer pressure far more, I know mine did, and I was often guilty of not caring about conforming to the culture. Oh the stories I could tell you. Sigh.

      Delete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

regarding comments

Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.

Blog Archive