This is a not really gnocchi kind of gnocchi. Sometimes you just want something a bit different and easy. Take this un-Italian gnocchi I made. This gnocchi is very much like Hungarian nudli, except not rolled and without the toasted breadcrumb coating. Italian gnocchi is a naked nudli and you can’t get any more naked than that. This version is simple, I don’t mess around with rolling the dough; I just chop chop chop. But it tastes the same. When I gave it to him the man said “What no breadcrumbs?” I liked this naked nudli, gnocchi, potato pasta or whatdoyoucall this thing that it was.
Today is April Fool’s Day. I love to laugh, but I hate practical jokes. There is nothing practical about practical jokes. The humor comes from getting people to trust you and then you punish them for it. I am no fun when it comes to practical jokes. You get no “April Fool's Day!” from me. Take the following video. It slowly builds up with cultural observations and presents them in funny, imaginative ways. This IS funny. Stepping into a slipper filled with catchup is NOT funny. That’s as far as I am willing to mark this crazy day. Have a nice one!
Potatoes or Pasta?
3 large red potatoes
2-1/4 cups flour
1 egg, extra large
1 pinch salt
1/8 cup slightly melted butter
1/4 cup melted butter for serving
freshly grated parmesan [optional]
• Boil the whole potatoes until they are soft
• Let them cool down and mash them.
• Add the egg, flour and the salt and the slightly melted 1/8 cup butter. [butter should not be hot]
• Mix to form dough.
• Place the dough on a well floured cutting board.
• Knead the dough gently until a smooth ball is formed.
• Put a large pot of water to the boil.
• Roll the dough into 3/4-inch diameter dowels and cut the dowels into 1-inch long pieces.
• Drop the pieces into the boiling water and cook until they float to the top.
• Drain the gnocchi and toss with 1/4 cup of melted butter and serve.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- CHEF’S SALT
- DEVILED SPARERIBS
- CAULIFLOWER RICE
- BLIND BAKING PIE PASTRY
- LEMON MERINGUE PIE
- STIR FRYING WITH BABY BOK CHOY
- SWEET AND SPICY PORK ROAST
- HONEY WAFERS
- POTATO FLATBREAD
- LARDED POTATOES - ZSÍROS KRUMPLI
- PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS
- BREADED CAULIFLOWER - RÁNTOTT KARFIOL
- SOUR CREAM BLUEBERRY TEA CAKE
- PUFF PASTRY WITH CHOCOLATE
- HAZELNUT SHORTBREAD
- ▼ April (16)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)