22.4.14

HONEY WAFERS


Honey Grahams and Honey Graham Crumbs are staple items in the well stocked pantry. But I have not been happy with their quality of late. Something is different about them. It must be the whole wheat and the soy content. I looked for recipes on line, but they all called for graham flour and wouldn’t you know I was unable to find graham flour. The addition of whole wheat flour was a definite taste killer. I experimented with substitutes and the one thing all the recipes had in common is they puffed up and all of them were ghastly soft. I came to the conclusion that honey wafers should not contain leavening agents. I tried making them with butter, but the wafers were still too soft. I don’t often use margarine, but using margarine instead of butter made a huge difference. Until I find graham flour, I am afraid this is as close to honey grahams as I will get. 


I used full sized rimless baking sheets. One baking sheet is the perfect size for one batch of wafers. For variety, I did a batch with white sugar too. They all crisped up, had a pleasant flavour and were easy to make. I will continue to experiment. I aim to reduce the fat content, but only to the point, that it will not alter the flavour.



1 cup block margarine at room temperature 
1/3 cup brown sugar 
1/8 cup liquid honey 
2-1/4 cup flour 
1/4 tsp salt 

• Preheat the oven to 375F. 
• Beat the margarine, sugar and the liquid honey until very fluffy. 
• Lower the speed to mixing. 
• Add the salt. 
• Gradually add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat to combine. 
• Cut two sheets of parchment paper to fit a full size baking sheet. 
• Press the dough onto one of the sheets. 
• Lay the second sheet of parchment paper on the top and evenly roll the dough fully covering the parchment. 
• The dough will spill out here and there. Trim them off and patch it in places the dough didn’t quite make it to the edge. You want as even of a rectangle as you can manage. 
• Cut the dough with a pizza cutter to the desired shapes. Do not use a ruler; it will stick to the dough. You don’t want to sprinkle more flour onto the dough either; it will alter both the texture and the taste of the wafers. If you cannot cut evenly, it does not matter, these are only wafers. 
• Bake it in a preheated oven for 9-10 minutes or until the edges start to get a little color. 
• Remove from the oven and immediately re-cut the crackers along the pre-existing lines, because they will fuse together during baking.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!