16.9.23

PASSIONFRUIT SYRUP CAKE BARS

We enjoyed these cake bars to the last wonderful crumb. But it’s only for those who cannot get hold of fresh passionfruit. Good ones that is. I tried. I found it once locally, but it didn’t look anything like on the pictures, worse, it tasted putrid. Then I ordered French passion fruit curd from Amazon. Well it looked fine, but I didn’t like the weird aftertaste. I had one more trick up my sleeve; I ordered a bottle of passionfruit syrup. Granted it has a few additives, but I made these cake bars with it and wow! We loved them. I kept the leftover for a more elaborate cake. There you have it. I always knew passionfruit had to be lovely; my old Aussie friend in Prince George used to lament her pavlova wasn’t the same without it. Well at the very least I now know what the Aussies have been raving about. This is a one bowl cake and fairly easy to make. 

Passionfruit Syrup Cake Bars 
3/4 cup flour 
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
4 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft butter 
1/4 cup passionfruit syrup 
1/4 cup 14% sour cream 
Passionfruit Icing: 
1/2 cup unsalted butter 
1 1/2 cups icing sugar 
3/8 cup passionfruit syrup 

• Preheat oven to 375F 
• Fully line a square cake pan with parchment paper. 
• In a smaller bowl whisk the flour with the baking powder really well and set it aside. 
• Separate the eggs. 
• In a beater bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. 
• Reduce the speed and add the sugar gradually, beating on medium speed. 
• Reduce the speed again and add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating on low speed. 
• Gradually began to add from the passion fruit syrup, the reserved flour mixture, and the sour cream; ending with the flour mixture. Avoid overmixing! 
• Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven until light golden ~ 20 minutes or until the edges began to pull away from the pan and the cake middle springs back. 
• In the meantime make the passionfruit icing. 
• Add all the ingredients to a clean beater bowl and beat for 4 minutes or longer. 
• Next, remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. 
• I cut the cake into squares while still hot and we sampled a couple of squares with a dab of icing on top melting down... It was delightful! 
• When the cake cooled to room temperature I spread the remaining icing on top.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!