CHERRY BUTTER CAKE – CSERESZNYÉS VAJAS PISKÓTA
At end of the cherry season, when the cherries are dark and sweet what better way to use them than to make a cherry butter cake! Not hardening, this cake will remain buttery and tender in the cupboard or in the fridge for several days. If refrigerated, allow it to come to room temperature before serving. With the aim to provide a large surface area for the cherries, I divided the batter, which would normally be baked in one cake pan, between two round spring form pans.
1-1/4 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp grated lemon rinds
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup fresh cherries
• Wash the cherries, slice them in half, remove the pits and set them aside.
• Line the bottom of two round cake pans with parchment paper.
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Place the butter, egg yolks, sugar, salt and the grated lemon rinds in a bowl.
• Add the vanilla and beat the yolk mixture until fluffy and light.
• In a separate bowl sift together the flour and the baking powder.
• Gradually add the flour and stir to combine.
• In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Gradually fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
• Try not to crush the egg whites.
• Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
• Arrange the cherry halves on the top and slightly press them into the better.
• Bake at 375F until cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
• Let cake cool a bit.
• Then loosen the cake by running the flat side of a knife blade around the sides before releasing the springs.
• Remove the parchment from the bottom and transfer to a platter.
• Slice and serve dusted with icing sugar.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (94)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- HUNGARIAN CHICKEN STUFFING – MAGYAR CSIRKE TÖLTELÉ...
- HUNGARIAN POTATO SOUP - KRUMPLILEVES
- PASTRY CREAM
- FISH FILLETS POACHED IN WINE
- CHERRY PIE SQUARES
- CHERRY BUTTER CAKE – CSERESZNYÉS VAJAS PISKÓTA
- PORK CRACKLING - TÖPÖRTYŰ
- BLUEBERRY PIE
- FREE FORM PUFF PASTRY TART
- QUICK PUFF PASTRY
- POTATO AND SAUSAGES
- WHIPPED CREAM MOUSSE CAKE - RIGÓ JANCSI
- ▼ July (12)
- ► 2010 (200)