1/3 of quick puff pastry
2 cups pitted cherries
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon juice
• Lay a sheet of parchment paper on the cutting board.
• Roll out 1/3 of the puff pastry on the parchment into a 16X12 inch rectangle, 1/8 inch thick.
• Cut 1 inch of strip around the rectangle.
• Grasp the ends of the parchment and transfer the pastry rectangle to a baking sheet.
• Paint an inch border of cold water around the rectangle. [Without this step the tart will not hold together when you start slicing it.]
• Then lay the pastry strips all around the edge.
• Press the strips in place, slightly overlapping at the corners.
• Prick the entire surface of the rectangle with a fork
• Cover the shell and chill for 30 minutes.
• Meanwhile prepare the cherry tart filling
• Combine the pitted cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
• You do not need to add water; the cherries will react with the sugar and release liquid.
• Cook on very low heat, stirring continuously, but be careful not to crush the fruit.
• When filling is sufficiently thickened, remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and let cool to lukewarm.
• Preheat your oven at 425 F
• Remove the tart shell from the fridge and pour in the filling.
• The rapid puff of the strips will hold in the filling.
• Place the tart in the oven and bake until the dough has a nice golden colour. Serves 4