2-1/2 cups white flour, chilled
1 cup cake flour, chilled
1-3/4 teaspoons salt
2 cups very cold butter
1 cup ice cold water
• Place the chilled flours on a clean working surface.
• Add the salt.
• Add the block of chilled butter and begin to chop away at it with the scraper, meanwhile mixing it into the dry ingredients.
• When the butter is all chopped down to pea size chunks and is well distributed in the flour, make a well in the center and gradually add the ice water.
• Keep mixing with the pastry scraper as a rough dough forms.
• Wrap the dough up in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for twenty minutes.
• Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll it into a 12X30 inch rectangle.
• You will have to rub the roller with flour often, at first the dough will stick a little.
• Fold the dough in thirds like a letter.
• Now turn dough 90 degrees.
• Roll dough out again to a rectangle and fold in thirds again.
• Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Remove dough from refrigerator and roll and fold the dough as before.
• Chill for 30 minutes and then repeat rolling and folding for the third time.
• After the last fold, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 whole hour before using.