1/2 cup cake flour
3 Tbsp cacao
6 egg yolks
6 Tbsp sugar
6 egg whites
6 squares of semi sweet baking chocolate [total 6oz or 170g]
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp gelatine
1+3 cups heavy whipping cream [exactly 1liter]
8 Tbsp cocoa, sifted
8 Tbsp icing sugar, sifted
• Preheat oven at 350F and line a rectangular pan with parchment paper.
• Beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon coloured.
• Sift the cake flour and the cocoa into the egg yolks gradually and whisk to combine.
• Wash the beaters and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Gently incorporate the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
• Pour the batter into the prepared pan and gently smooth out the top.
• Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the middle springs back.
• Place a sheet of wax paper over the cake.
• Place a tray on the top and invert cake.
• Remove the pan and peel away the base paper.
• Let the cake cool and then cut into two layers.
• Return one layer [with the cut side up] back into the baking pan.
• Flip the remaining layer back on the tray [with the cut side down].
• Partially melt 6 squares of chocolate with 2 Tbsp of butter.
• Remove pot from heat and stir chocolate until completely melted.
• Pour the melted chocolate over the cake layer you have on the tray.
• Put the chocolate glazed cake layer in the fridge to set.
• Meanwhile make the whipped mousse layer.
• Place 1 cup of whipping cream on the stove and bring to almost simmer.
• Sprinkle the gelatine over the hot cream and stir until all the gelatine dissolves.
• Remove from heat and let cream and gelatine cool a bit.
• Next beat the remaining 3 cups of whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
• Add the sifted icing sugar and cocoa and beat into the cream.
• Finally add the lukewarm cream and gelatine mix and beat to combine.
• Evenly spread the whipped mousse on top of the cake in the pan.
• Remove the chocolate glazed cake layer from the fridge.
• Dip a sharp knife into very hot water and cut the glazed cake layer into squares. [I had 15 squares]
• Dip the knife into hot water before each and every cut.
• Arrange the squares on top of the mousse layer and place the pan in the fridge to set.