BEET AND CARROT SLAW
Even if you are not a raw beetroot fan, you will like this salad. There is something irresistible in these colourful, julienned vegetables. A food processor shredder saves time, especially if you make a large bowl of it, but it’s not that difficult to julienne with a sharp chef’s knife either. I sat down to the kitchen table and chopped away on a cutting board, it was easier then to get the food processor out and do a wash up afterwards, and in no time I had the carrots and the beets all julienned. The flavouring has the right amount of tanginess and is not overwhelmingly sour. I omitted the cayenne and replaced the cilantro with parsley. In my opinion too much heat would obliterate some of the flavours. This was adapted from a Young Sun Huh recipe from the Cooking Channel.
2 large carrots, julienned
1 large or two long skinny beets, julienned
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup olive oil
• Place the carrots, beets, onions and parsley in a salad bowl.
• Add the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
• Set it aside.
• In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds on medium heat until fragrant, for about 3 minutes.
• Add the cumin, sugar and the paprika to the bowl.
• Drizzle with the olive oil and toss. Yields 6 cups
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- GREEN PEAS STEW - ZÖLDBORSÓ FŐZELÉK
- CHOCOLATE TERRINE
- CABBAGE SOUP
- PANKO CRUSTED PARMESAN PORK CHOPS
- CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS
- NUTELLA SHORTBREAD COOKIES
- ZSUZSA’S APPLE DISH
- PORK CHOPS WITH APPLE STUFFING
- CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP
- FLOYDA'S BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES
- CARAMEL ICING
- BEET AND CARROT SLAW
- FROSTED SOFT SUGAR COOKIES
- VANILLA BUTTERCREAM COOKIE FROSTING
- WHITE CHOCOLATE DIPPED MOLASSES COOKIES
- SPICY SLAW
- SPICY SALAD DRESSING
- ROASTED TURKEY WINGS
- HUNGARIAN CABBAGE SALAD – NYERS KÁPOSZTASALÁTA
- HOMEMADE PRUNE JUICE
- ITALIAN LEMON COOKIES
- COOKIE ICING
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)