image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

17.11.12

BEET AND CARROT SLAW


 
Even if you are not a raw beetroot fan, you will like this salad. There is something irresistible in these colourful, julienned vegetables. A food processor shredder saves time, especially if you make a large bowl of it, but it’s not that difficult to julienne with a sharp chef’s knife either. I sat down to the kitchen table and chopped away on a cutting board, it was easier then to get the food processor out and do a wash up afterwards, and in no time I had the carrots and the beets all julienned. The flavouring has the right amount of tanginess and is not overwhelmingly sour. I omitted the cayenne and replaced the cilantro with parsley. In my opinion too much heat would obliterate some of the flavours. This was adapted from a Young Sun Huh recipe from the Cooking Channel.
 
2 large carrots, julienned
1 large or two long skinny beets, julienned
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup olive oil
 
• Place the carrots, beets, onions and parsley in a salad bowl.
• Add the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
• Set it aside.
• In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds on medium heat until fragrant, for about 3 minutes.
• Add the cumin, sugar and the paprika to the bowl.
• Drizzle with the olive oil and toss. Yields 6 cups
 

4 comments:

  1. And it's very pretty too!
    When we rennovated the kitchen I had an appliance garage installed; my food processor, stand mixer, immersion blender, toaster, spice grinder all live there on the ready. I even had 4 by 2 outlets installed so I don't have unplug something to use something else! And when they are not in use, they hide behind a door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsa, I've never tried raw beets before, but then; I think it would taste great as a salad, cut in juliened pieces along with the carrots. Love the spicy dressing with the addition of the paprika, as well:) Beautiful color, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth I have been experimenting with raw beets in salads, I have to say this was the best I made so far. My husband had seconds from it and he seldom goes for a salad twice. I found it was really well balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva, your kitchen sounds like a dream. I have the bulkiest appliances out on my countertop. I have a fair amount of countertop space, but you know how it is, you can never have too much countertop and having the appliances out on the counter offends me visually. We are thinking of downsizing so kitchen space is unlikely to get better. I may have to keep them on my dining room table if I will have a dining room that is hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive