image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

20.11.12

CARAMEL ICING


 
I used this icing recipe for years, ever since Jean Pare’s 150 Delicious squares came out in 1985. I tried many recipes from the book over the years and even kept a few. But the caramel icing has become a standby for my cookies as in this case I used it to finish up a small batch of butterscotch bars. Not light enough for finishing cakes, but a perfect icing for cookies and squares. It pipes well, not overly sweet and the preparation is simple. I added the sour cream to balance the sugar, but otherwise this one is Jean Pare’s recipe from page 65.
 
1/4 cup butter, salted
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 cup icing sugar
 
• Combine butter, sugar and milk in saucepan.
• Bring to boil and simmer 2 minutes.
• Cool.
• Stir in icing sugar.
• Add the sour cream and beat until fluffy.
• Smooth over bars.
 

6 comments:

  1. I have that book too! Lots of Christmas baking came out of that little gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely icing...great recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva, what I liked about Pare's books, which was a new thing at the time is that you can see what the finished product looks like. Up until then cookbooks had the majority of recipes without pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry but what is the exact amount of icing sugar required for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deepan, I am very grateful for that question, I have corrected the ingredient list. Thank you so much for pointing it out to me.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive