image

image

MY COOKBOOK

5.11.12

ITALIAN LEMON COOKIES



 
I stayed away from soft cookies all my life or kept reinventing them into crispy and sometimes hard as rock things as I did that to my friend, Elisabeth’s soft almond cookies. And yes, I intend to remake it again and next time it will be soft. I kept thinking about soft cookies ever since I remade Elisabeth’s recipe and felt a bit guilty too. The guilt led me to try several soft cookie recipes and in the process I have become a soft cookie addict. When I saw Laura’s lemon cookies I knew I had to make these too. They are subtly lemony and even if you are not overly fond of lemon flavoured confectionery you will like these. I don’t favour lemon extract in recipes, but I must say this time the extract enhanced the cookie. I didn’t change one thing about the cookie, but I doubled the icing, because the cookie is better with a robust layer of icing than with a thin glaze. One other good thing about that is that the thicker icing solidifies within a few hours and the cookies can be packed between layers of waxed paper for the freezer. This recipe makes 40 good sized cookies, next time I will cut the ingredients by half. I like these way too much.
 
1 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp sour cream
2 1/4 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
grated zest of 1 lemon
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 batch of cookie icing
1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice

• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Beat together shortening and sugar in medium bowl until light.
• Add the eggs, sour cream, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and lemon zest; beat until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
• Combine the flour and baking powder; add to the shortening mixture gradually and beat until fully combined. Do not overbeat.
• Shape the dough into 40 balls, using about 1 level Tbsp for each.
• Arrange about 1 inch apart on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
• Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the bottom is lightly browned.
• Do not over bake, cookies will be soft.
• Remove from the oven and let the cookies solidify in the pan.
• Transfer to a wire rack and let cookies cool.
• Meanwhile make the cookie icing, but omit the vanilla extract and flavour it with 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
• Dip the tops of cookies into the lemon flavoured cookie icing.
• Let the icing set until dry to the touch. But go ahead, have one right of way.
  Yields 4 dozen cookies

10 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, I'm so happy to see you back...and blogging again. Love, love the luscious, and pretty lemon cookies. So perfect with the icing; just perfect for all year and especially for Christmas:)

    So nice of you to mention my almond cookies and the kind 'shout-out' about me. I was really surprised and honored. Thank you so much:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure Elisabeth and the story is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great cookie! I bet the sour cream makes these cookies really, really moist! Love the lemon in both the cookie and the icing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore anything lemony so I know I would love these. They look so lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Eva, these are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Peach Lady the sour cream makes a real difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new lemon dessert recipe to add to my list! Great! And you say they are soft??? I'm already under the charm. They look gorgeous and the lemon's presence in both glazing and cookie must make them irresistible. You have made me want to bake with lemon. Now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As one lemon addict to another - you would loooooove this Sissi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom made some cookies like this ages ago but, of course, never wrote anything down, so I couldn't reproduced them. It's so nice to have this resource to check at some point in the future. I wish I could download all your recipes in one zip file of the various folders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I both Maria... I have seen the printable pages on some blogs. I am not computer savvy and I am not quite sure how to add that feature to my pages. I like Peach Lady's but she uses a different program. As for a downloadable zip file, that is so beyond me I would not even know where to start. So far, the easiest way to copy a recipe is to Copy and Paste. I have noticed that blogger has made this harder in recent months. I am happy to share and I don't intend to make profit from my blog. If there was a simple way to share it all, I would be happy to oblige. In any case, I have to go back and edit my recipes. I meant to do that a long time ago and I just keep adding recipes. I will have to spend at least six months editing. When that work is complete I would be happy to e mail you my recipes in batches.

    ReplyDelete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Blog Archive