image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

22.11.12

PORK CHOPS WITH APPLE STUFFING


 
These are soft and succulent pork chops with a stuffing that has a mild apple flavour. I serve them with mashed potatoes. If you prepare more of the filling, it can be baked separately in a well buttered casserole dish. Keep in mind that the stuffing on its own requires significantly shorter baking time.
 
2 boneless thick cut pork chops
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
 
Apple Filling:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 granny smith apple, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 slices of deli style medium rye bread cut into croutons
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
 
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Cut a pocket into each chop and lightly pound both sides with a meat tenderizer.
• On medium heat, sauté the onions in 2 Tbsp olive oil until translucent.
• Meanwhile add the diced apple, garlic, croutons, parsley and marjoram to a mixing bowl.
• Add the soft onions, salt and pepper to taste and mix to combine.
• In a small bowl whisk the egg with a fork until the yolk and the white combines.
• Add the egg to the bowl and stir to coat the stuffing evenly
• Fill the chops pocket with the stuffing all the way to the edge.
• Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter to an ovenproof skillet.
• Place it on the stove on medium heat and melt the butter.
• Add the stuffed pork chops to the skillet.
• Sprinkle with salt and secure each chop with toothpicks.
• Slow fry the chops for 2 minutes. Do not flip over.
• Remove the skillet from heat and cover with a well fitting ovenproof lid or with aluminum foil.
• Place the covered skillet in the oven and bake at 375F until the chops are cooked through. The top will look cooked and the bottoms will have a nice golden color.
• Remove the skillet from the oven, discard toothpicks and carefully flip over the chops.
• Cover again and place the skillet back in the oven until both sides have a nice golden color.
• Do not let the chops dry out, these chops will not take long to prepare.

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely a lovely fall stuffing; I will try it on a pork tenderloin (I prefer to use the tenderloin because it is less fatty). I love the tartness of the granny smith, and marjoram goes so well with pork. Years ago I made a Pork Roast from Martha Stewart's mother that used quite a bit of marjoram and it was wonderful. She used prunes but JT isn't a huge fan so I used apples. Very tasty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant idea, Zsuzsa, stuffing it with apples. Normally, I'd just serve it with an apple sauce. I must make this soon since I have some green apples sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Eva and Ping, I agree the tenderloin is a leaner cut inch by inch. I do trim off everything, and I mean everything from my chops before preparation. Tenderloin has a different flavour and texture from the loin. Apples and pork and marjoram go rather well together and my tangy Hungarian apple sauce is to die for. I was thinking of, don't laugh, making up some sort of apple glazed sockeye salmon dish…







    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive