- Measure out the flour needed in a large bowl.
- For every cup of flour take out two tablespoons of flour and return it to the flour bin.
- Replace the two tablespoons of flour with two tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Whisk the flour and the cornstarch together.
- Now it is cake flour.
HOMEMADE CAKE FLOUR
All flours go stale eventually and the best before date should be kept in mind. All purpose flour is good for a year, but whole grains go rancid quite quickly. Refrigeration slows down the spoilage, but most people don’t have room in their fridge for a large bag of flour. In a deep freeze flour will keep for years. However it is best to buy as much flour as you will use up within a year.
My favorite cake flour is Swansons, it is sold in a small cardboard box and I am forever short or running out. The more common cake flour is the 2.5 kg Cake and Pastry Flour. It lasts a long time but it will get stale if you are not a regular cake maker. Stale flour won’t hurt you but everything you make with it will have an off taste. However it is easy to make cake flour from all purpose flour and cornstarch. I use a balloon whisk. If you sift it with a sieve or a sifter repeat 4-5 times. Both the whisk and the sieve makes a bit of a mess, haha, but it’s a small mess compared to what I do to the kitchen daily. The one thing to keep in mind is to incorporate the flour with the cornstarch really well, so the mixture is well aerated. Otherwise the cake could be on the heavy side.
1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp cornstarch
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ICED ORANGE COOKIES
- BANANA CHIFFON CAKE WITH GANACHE
- BAKED PARMESAN POTATOES
- BAKED PORK CHOPS
- PATE BRISEE TARTS
- BLUEBERRY ALMOND CAKE
- TOMATO PORK STEAK
- BROWN SUGAR MAPLE COOKIES
- PEAR TART
- LINZER SANDWICH COOKIES – LINZER SZENDVICS KEKSZ
- USING LEFTOVERS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- MUSHROOM LECSÓ SPREAD
- DILLED GOURD STEW - KAPROS TÖKFŐZELÉK
- NUTELLA SHORTBREAD BARS
- ZSUZSA’S STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- KILLER PEANUT BUTTER CAKE
- HOMEMADE CAKE FLOUR
- MUSHROOM ASIAGO CHICKEN
- COCONUTTY SHEET CAKE
- ▼ August (19)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)