- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the peanut butter, oil, and brown sugar.
- Beat until very creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
- With a wooden spoon fold in the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture. Do not beat with the flour or the cake will be dense and dry.
- Line a 9 inch spring form round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the middle of the cake springs back.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove the ring and let the cake cool on a wire rack completely.
- In the meantime make the frosting and the ganache.
- Beat the peanut butter and the butter until smooth and frothy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and the heavy cream.
- Beat frosting for 5 minutes.
- Cut the cooled cake in half horizontally.
- Frost the bottom half of the cake.
- Place the top layer of the cake, on top of the bottom layer.
- You will have just enough frosting left to frost the sides.
- Pour the cooled ganache on the top and spread.
- Chill the cake.
- When the ganache is solidified, slice the cake with a chef’s knife, wiping the blade between cuts. Always cut chilled and serve at room temperature.
KILLER PEANUT BUTTER CAKE
I don’t even like peanut butter, but I loved this cake! Adapted from the The Daring Gourmet, I dare you to find a better Peanut Butter Cake. I cut the frosting in half and spread half a batch of ganache on the top. It turned out to be a well balanced and superbly composed cake. Last week I made this cake with the full frosting and omitted the ganache. We ended up scraping most of the frosting off and poured chocolate sauce on it. But alas chocolate sauce is not ganache. It’s one of those things, you cannot improve on perfection. The cake with less frosting and the ganache was THE cake.
Full fat buttermilk gives superior crumb to cakes. It is well worth to buy full fat buttermilk. “Homemade” buttermilk from 1% or skim milk and vinegar may look like buttermilk, but it won't be buttermilk. Leftover buttermilk can always be used in place of milk in biscuits and breads. As for the peanut butter,
brand has one ingredient; peanuts. If you cannot get Adams, some other brand of natural, unsweetened peanut butter may be used.
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup smooth Adams Peanut Butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup smooth Adams Peanut Butter
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups icing sugar
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/2 batch of ganache
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ICED ORANGE COOKIES
- BANANA CHIFFON CAKE WITH GANACHE
- BAKED PARMESAN POTATOES
- BAKED PORK CHOPS
- PATE BRISEE TARTS
- BLUEBERRY ALMOND CAKE
- TOMATO PORK STEAK
- BROWN SUGAR MAPLE COOKIES
- PEAR TART
- LINZER SANDWICH COOKIES – LINZER SZENDVICS KEKSZ
- USING LEFTOVERS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- MUSHROOM LECSÓ SPREAD
- DILLED GOURD STEW - KAPROS TÖKFŐZELÉK
- NUTELLA SHORTBREAD BARS
- ZSUZSA’S STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- KILLER PEANUT BUTTER CAKE
- HOMEMADE CAKE FLOUR
- MUSHROOM ASIAGO CHICKEN
- COCONUTTY SHEET CAKE
- ▼ August (19)
- ► 2014 (94)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)