- Measure out the flour needed in a large bowl.
- For every cup of flour take out two tablespoons of flour and return it to the flour bin.
- Replace the two tablespoons of flour with two tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Whisk the flour and the cornstarch together.
- Now it is cake flour.
HOMEMADE CAKE FLOUR
All flours go stale eventually and the best before date should be kept in mind. All purpose flour is good for a year, but whole grains go rancid quite quickly. Refrigeration slows down the spoilage, but most people don’t have room in their fridge for a large bag of flour. In a deep freeze flour will keep for years. However it is best to buy as much flour as you will use up within a year.
My favorite cake flour is Swansons, it is sold in a small cardboard box and I am forever short or running out. The more common cake flour is the 2.5 kg Cake and Pastry Flour. It lasts a long time but it will get stale if you are not a regular cake maker. Stale flour won’t hurt you but everything you make with it will have an off taste. However it is easy to make cake flour from all purpose flour and cornstarch. I use a balloon whisk. If you sift it with a sieve or a sifter repeat 4-5 times. Both the whisk and the sieve makes a bit of a mess, haha, but it’s a small mess compared to what I do to the kitchen daily. The one thing to keep in mind is to incorporate the flour with the cornstarch really well, so the mixture is well aerated. Otherwise the cake could be on the heavy side.
1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp cornstarch
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ICED ORANGE COOKIES
- BANANA CHIFFON CAKE WITH GANACHE
- BAKED PARMESAN POTATOES
- BAKED PORK CHOPS
- PATE BRISEE TARTS
- BLUEBERRY ALMOND CAKE
- TOMATO PORK STEAK
- BROWN SUGAR MAPLE COOKIES
- PEAR TART
- LINZER SANDWICH COOKIES – LINZER SZENDVICS KEKSZ
- USING LEFTOVERS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- MUSHROOM LECSÓ SPREAD
- DILLED GOURD STEW - KAPROS TÖKFŐZELÉK
- NUTELLA SHORTBREAD BARS
- ZSUZSA’S STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- KILLER PEANUT BUTTER CAKE
- HOMEMADE CAKE FLOUR
- MUSHROOM ASIAGO CHICKEN
- COCONUTTY SHEET CAKE
- ▼ August (19)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)