image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

21.8.15

USING LEFTOVERS AND SUBSTITUTIONS


Using Leftovers And Substitutions

- is the holy grail of thrift and creativity,
- often a time saver, since part of the meal is already made
- can be the start of new and delicious homey meals,
- may not always be good for the waistline so eat less. :-)

There are things I always make too much of, for instance I don’t think we ever finished a cheese sauce I make for cauliflower.  We had company and I overestimated the cheese sauce again and I ended up with half a jug of it in the fridge. It did not come together to serve it again. It was time to bake bread anyway and I thought why not make a cheesy bread? That is how it started. I replaced part of the liquid with the leftover cheese sauce in the recipe. To be precise I used 1-1/4 cups of cheese sauce in place of 1-1/8 cups of water. The result was a little flatter but delicately soft bread with a slight cheese flavour. The actual bread recipe is coming later.

here is the Cheesy Bread:
 
I don’t think it makes much sense to make cheese sauce for making bread, there are other ways to make cheese bread, but it is a good example how one can use up leftovers. Of course, there are failures too.  Not long ago I made spaghetti with meatballs and I threw in some chopped up leftover meatloaf. We ate the meatballs and pushed the meatloaf bits aside. I will not do that again.

A while back I made too much meat sauce, I know what you are thinking, for a Hungarian I make a lot of Italian dishes. Anyway, I wanted to make a lasagna with the leftover meat sauce, but I had no ricotta cheese or spinach. However, I had cream cheese and broccoli plus a half a tub of artichoke dip that also needed to be used.  

here is the amazing Artichoke Broccoli Lasagna I made from leftovers and substitutions:


My lasagna recipe is here

and here is what I replaced the ricotta-spinach layer with:

8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg yolk
1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets
1/3 cup artichoke dip from the deli

  • Beat the cream with the sour cream to soften it. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to blend. 

I confess I also made fresh lasagna pasta and this turned out to be a dangerously good lasagna. On the other hand if you are ever short of ricotta... you know what to do. I must not forget, I dedicate this post to Maria for all the wonderful innovations she does with food and to Eva for the bread. But more about Eva's bread later.

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive