image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

17.8.15

ZSUZSA’S STUFFED ZUCCHINI


Stuffed zucchini recipes I tried before were soggy and either bland or with a strong mid eastern flavor, all of the things I am not particularly fond of. When not satisfied, I tend to fall back on my own kitchen culture. I may run an international kitchen, but with common elements of flavor preference. I am not talking about the paprika. One’s flavor preference goes much deeper than paprika.

Someone once said that be it folklore, religion or food, culture is a mass hallucination. Not to devalue other cuisines, be it novel or interesting, we all have preferences. So when I started to work on the stuffing, I went to my own experience for inspiration. I came up with a very tasty dish that will be repeated as long as I can get a hold of fresh well sized but not overly large zucchinis.  Very large zucchinis are generally overripe and are more suited for baking sweet loaves. For absolute freshness I did not soften the red onions for the stuffing. If using white onions, use no more than 1/3 of a cup or better yet replace them with chopped green onions. There is no sogginess and yet the egg loosely binds the vegetables together without the freshness and the crunchiness compromised.

1 medium large zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 cup dried bread cubes
1 cup read onion, diced
1 cup red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
1/2 cup dry sausage, chopped [optional]
sprinkling of ground pepper to taste
1 egg, whisked
1+2+ 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2  cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 small batch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 handfuls of shaved Parmesan cheese

  • Preheat oven to 475 F.
  • Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh.
  • Slice a thin layer off the bottom so the zucchini boat will not tip.
  • Discard the the flesh [yes do!] and sprinkle the tops with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Do      not salt the zucchini, the feta cheese will provide plenty of salt to the dish.
  • Place the two halves on a lightly oiled baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and let cool.
  • In the meantime prep the ingredients.
  • Place the bread cubes, diced onion, cherry tomatoes, peppers, olives and chopped sausage in a medium sized bowl and toss.
  • Whisk an egg and add to the bowl and toss.
  • Sprinkle with ground pepper to taste.
  • Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and toss.
  • Finally add the cheddar, feta cheeses and the chopped flat leaf parsley.
  • Using your hands toss well.
  • Scoop up a handful of stuffing and start filling up the the zucchini boats.
  • Sprinkle the top with 1 Tbsp olive oil and the flaked Parmesan cheese.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive