- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh.
- Slice a thin layer off the bottom so the zucchini boat will not tip.
- Discard the the flesh [yes do!] and sprinkle the tops with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Do not salt the zucchini, the feta cheese will provide plenty of salt to the dish.
- Place the two halves on a lightly oiled baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime prep the ingredients.
- Place the bread cubes, diced onion, cherry tomatoes, peppers, olives and chopped sausage in a medium sized bowl and toss.
- Whisk an egg and add to the bowl and toss.
- Sprinkle with ground pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and toss.
- Finally add the cheddar, feta cheeses and the chopped flat leaf parsley.
- Using your hands toss well.
- Scoop up a handful of stuffing and start filling up the the zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle the top with 1 Tbsp olive oil and the flaked Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and serve immediately.
ZSUZSA’S STUFFED ZUCCHINI
Stuffed zucchini recipes I tried before were soggy and either bland or with a strong mid eastern flavor, all of the things I am not particularly fond of. When not satisfied, I tend to fall back on my own kitchen culture. I may run an international kitchen, but with common elements of flavor preference. I am not talking about the paprika. One’s flavor preference goes much deeper than paprika.
Someone once said that be it folklore, religion or food, culture is a mass hallucination. Not to devalue other cuisines, be it novel or interesting, we all have preferences. So when I started to work on the stuffing, I went to my own experience for inspiration. I came up with a very tasty dish that will be repeated as long as I can get a hold of fresh well sized but not overly large zucchinis. Very large zucchinis are generally overripe and are more suited for baking sweet loaves. For absolute freshness I did not soften the red onions for the stuffing. If using white onions, use no more than 1/3 of a cup or better yet replace them with chopped green onions. There is no sogginess and yet the egg loosely binds the vegetables together without the freshness and the crunchiness compromised.
1 medium large zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 cup dried bread cubes
1 cup read onion, diced
1 cup red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
1/2 cup dry sausage, chopped [optional]
sprinkling of ground pepper to taste
1 egg, whisked
1+2+ 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 small batch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 handfuls of shaved Parmesan cheese
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ICED ORANGE COOKIES
- BANANA CHIFFON CAKE WITH GANACHE
- BAKED PARMESAN POTATOES
- BAKED PORK CHOPS
- PATE BRISEE TARTS
- BLUEBERRY ALMOND CAKE
- TOMATO PORK STEAK
- BROWN SUGAR MAPLE COOKIES
- PEAR TART
- LINZER SANDWICH COOKIES – LINZER SZENDVICS KEKSZ
- USING LEFTOVERS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- MUSHROOM LECSÓ SPREAD
- DILLED GOURD STEW - KAPROS TÖKFŐZELÉK
- NUTELLA SHORTBREAD BARS
- ZSUZSA’S STUFFED ZUCCHINI
- KILLER PEANUT BUTTER CAKE
- HOMEMADE CAKE FLOUR
- MUSHROOM ASIAGO CHICKEN
- COCONUTTY SHEET CAKE
- ▼ August (19)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)