- Place the frozen cherries with their liquid and lemon juice in a medium sized pot.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar and give it a gentle stir.
- Let the cherries stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir to combine.
- Slowly bring it to boil.
- Simmer fresh cherries for 5-10 minutes stirring often. If using frozen cherries, simmer only until the sauce thickens.
- Remove pot from heat and immediately stir in the butter.
COOKED CHERRY FILLING
The uses of cooked fruit fillings for pies, tarts, fruit bars and various pastries are endless. Traditional Hungarian fruit fillings were made from fresh fruit with the juices squeezed out. Most Hungarian food bloggers add cooked pudding for thickener these days. Not wanting to do either with my lovely frozen cherries, I began to experiment with cooked cherry filling.
The recipe will work with fresh or frozen pitted cherries. Fresh cherries let a considerable amount of juice when pitted. Hold onto the juice. Frozen pitted cherries, with some of their juices gone, require some additional liquid to cook. Avoid defrosting the cherries before cooking.
Cooked Cherry Filling
4 cups of fresh pitted red cherries including their juices
or 4 cups of frozen pitted red cherries + 1/4 cup of pure apple juice or water
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2+1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp butter
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- MEATBALLS WITH KIELBASA
- CHICKEN GULYAS - CSIRKEGULYÁS
- SCORED POTATOES
- HAM LOAF
- COOKED MAYONNAISE
- COCONUT LOAF
- PARMESAN ENCRUSTED BREADED PORK TENDERLOINS
- HUNGARIAN ALL PURPOSE CRACKERS - HÁZTARTÁSIKEKSZ
- CHERRY PASTRY BARS - CSERESZNYÉS PITE
- COOKED CHERRY FILLING
- HAM CRACKLING BISCUITS – SONKA TEPERTŐ POGÁCSA
- HOMEMADE SPINACH PASTA WITH WALNUTS
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)