image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

28.3.16

COOKED MAYONNAISE


My first batch was strangely reminiscent of a certain salad dressing. But I was never a fan. I prefer real mayonnaise. Leilah developed an allergy to commercial mayonnaise recently. We were not sure what it was in the mayo that made her react. Already concerned, I thought homemade mayo contains raw egg yolks, besides it doesn’t last long so I looked for an alternative. I tried out several cooked mayonnaise recipes with varying success. This holds the most promise so far, now if we could just get passed the sweetness. The mustard and vinegar content was bang on, but I will play around with the sugar, I think the sugar content is the one that needs a bit of fine-tuning. I don’t think you need more than 2 Tbsp of sugar for one batch and perhaps not even that. Instead of adding butter at the end, I replaced some of the milk with heavy cream. Already, this would be a good substitution in a mayo-based salad. Recipe was adapted from Food.com. Yields 2-1/2 cups of salad dressing.

Cooked Mayonnaise

2 large eggs
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp dry mustard
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup hot water

  • In a microwavable bowl, whisk the two eggs.
  • Whisk in the flour and the dry mustard.
  • Add the milk, sugar and the salt.
  • In a separate bowl, combine vinegar and hot tap water.
  • While whisking the egg mixture, add the vinegar mixture.
  • Place the bowl in the microwave uncovered and cook at full power for 4-1/2 minutes.
  • Give the dressing a whisk and put it back in the microwave for another 4-1/2 minutes longer.
  • Remove the bowl and place plastic wrap right on top of the dressing while it cools.
  • Transfer to a large jar with a well fitting cap and store in the fridge.

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive