23.12.17

ZSUZSA’S CHRISTMAS LOG

My Christmas log recipe begins with my Cocoa Roll. I tried other log recipes over the years but we didn’t like them. So I keep going back to my dependable, simple, never fail cocoa roll. The departure starts with the buttercream; I add grated orange rind and heavy cream. Then I pour cooled ganache over the top. That’s it. This is my Christmas Log. 

ZSUZSA’S CHRISTMAS LOG
Cake:
6 eggs separated
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 Tbsp cake flour
Buttercream:
1/2 cup whipping cream, no more
finely grated rind of 1 navel orange
Ganache:
3 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
Bake the Cocoa Roll and leave it to cool. 
  • Meanwhile make ganache and set it aside to cool to room temperature. 
  • Next make the cocoa buttercream
  • Gradually add 1/2 cup of whipping cream, all the while whipping. 
  • Whip the buttercream for 4 more minutes. The whipping cream will increase its volume. 
  • Finally add the grated orange rinds and mix to combine. 
  • Next carefully unroll the cooled cake. 
  • With serrated knife, trim the short ends. 
  • Spread it with the buttercream. 
  • Re-roll the cake and place, seam-side down on a platter. 
  • Cover with a thin layer of the buttercream. 
  • Place in the fridge to firm up. 
  • Spread the top with the remaining buttercream. 
  • Chill the cake for 30 minutes. 
  • Pour the completely cooled ganache over the top and refrigerate. 
  • Half an hour before serving, move cake to the counter and cut into slices
  • Privacy & Cookies

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

    Translate

    me

    My photo
    It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!