6 eggs separated
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 Tbsp cake flour
1 batch of cocoa buttercream
• Preheat oven to 350F
• Line a large, rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
• In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon coloured.
• In a small bowl, sift together cocoa and flour. Whisk it to combine.
• Stir half of the cocoa flour mixture into the yolks and set aside.
• With clean beaters beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Gently fold about a third of the stiff egg whites into the yolk mixture.
• Add the remaining cocoa-flour mixture and gently fold into the batter.
• Gradually fold in the remaining egg whites. Be careful not to crush them.
• Spray the parchment lined cookie sheet with cooking spray.
• Pour the batter on the cookie sheet.
• Gently smooth out the top.
• Bake at 350F until the middle springs back.
• Carefully invert cake over a clean kitchen towel and peel away parchment paper.
• Using towel to guide, roll up from the short side and leave to cool.
• Carefully unroll cake.
• With serrated knife, trim short ends of cake.
• Spread with cocoa buttercream.
• Re-roll the cake and place, seam-side down on a platter.
• Cover with a thin layer of the buttercream.
• Place in the fridge to firm up.
• Spread the top with the remaining buttercream.
• Chill the cake.
• Half an hour before serving move cake to the counter and cut into slices.