2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
10 ounces asparagus spears, cut to 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
• On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
• Fit rolled dough into a 9" quiche dish or heavy ceramic pie pan.
• Transfer dish to the freezer and chill for 30 minutes.
• Line the pastry with parchment paper, pressing into corners.
• Fill at least two-thirds with dried beans.
• Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
• Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
• Carefully remove parchment paper and the weights.
• Poke pie bottom with a fork.
• Return to oven for additional 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
• Transfer to a wire rack to cool while making the filling.
• In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium high heat.
• Add the onions and cook stirring, until translucent but not brown.
• Increase the oven temperature to 375°F.
• Place the quiche dish on a baking sheet to catch any run-off.
• Sprinkle half the cheese evenly over the bottom of the crust.
• Spread the asparagus and ham over the cheese.
• Top with the remaining cheese.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, cream, eggs and pepper.
• Pour milk mixture over the cheese.
• Place dish in the oven.
• Bake for 30- 35 minutes until just set in the center.
• Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before slicing.