image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

17.11.13

CARROT LOAF CAKE


I made this loaf cake about a week ago. It was a big hit. Well who doesn't love a good carrot cake? Everyone in my family loves it, raisins, eh… not as much. So I left the raisins out. The real beauty of it was that we enjoyed it without icing or butter. It was soft and moist and had a lovely orange flavour. The preparation was minimal; all you need is a large mixing bowl, a balloon whisk and a wooden spoon.
 
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup light olive oil
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2+ 1/3 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
grated zest of 1 large orange
3 large carrots, grated
1/3 cup raisins
 
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
• Place the brown sugar, olive oil and the eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk them together.
• Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and the grated nutmeg and lightly mix with a wooden spoon.
• Add the orange zest and give it a stir.
• Next, stir in the grated carrots and the raisins.
• Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre.
• Let it cool before slicing.

4 comments:

  1. I skipped commenting on the last two posts (veggies esp tomatoes ... not my thing) but I had to comment on this one.

    I still haven't made a carrot cake, nor even tasted one. It's never my first choice (or fifth choice for that matter) on any dessert buffet table. I just can't get my mind around a cake made with carrots tasting ... dessert-y. Perhaps with raisins and frosting (cream cheese frosting is another bizarre item). I'm curious what the taste attraction IS about a carrot cake. Maybe I'll give it a try the next time I buy a fresh bag of carrots. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The attraction is that it's delicious. My SWISS CARROT CAKE recipe was published by the Dietitians of Canada last year in a cook book titled "Cook!" with 275 recipes that "celebrate food from field to table" by Mary Sue Wais. No, I am not a dietitian! But there it is on page 348 titled as Carrot and Almond Cake, and there is a full page photo of it and a smaller one on the back cover.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, moist-looking carrot cake! I agree that unlike some other "halthier" desserts, the main attraction of carrot cakes lies the taste. The second is the moisture (unless the carrots' amount is tiny of course). treating carrots as vegetable is a cultural thing: in India it's I think present only in desserts!
    It's amazing how carrot cakes are different in every house. They are however always moist and irresistible and yours looks both. I am often not a big fan of raisins, but somehow I like them in carrot cakes. (Not always though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago I decided to experiment with carrot cakes. Oh I have a long standing war with them and maybe that is why I have so many versions of it on my blog. I like moist cakes, but abhor heavy, wet cakes - and many a carrot cake is just that. But I need not look for another version of carrot cake, I believe now all bases are covered. :-)

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive