23.11.13

HUNGARIAN RISOTTO - RIZOTTÓ

The most important components of Hungarian rizottó are rice, peas and mushrooms. We never put cheese onto a hot dish. I don’t think Grandma liked it. But we only ate rizottó with fresh peas. Frozen fruit and vegetables started in Hungary about the time I was a teenager. I remember picking up odds and ends from the közért [grocery store] that used to be on the corner of Dohány and Szövetség utca.

The corner where the store used to be

Sometimes I picked up more than I was asked, such as a small frozen packet of red currants. I loved those red currants! I would put it on top of the warm coal stove and I watched it as it sizzled while I kept picking at it. I think I ate most of it still frozen. So the peas were welcome after a long winter. They were still pricey to make a soup or főzelék so Grandma made us rizottó. It used to be a slushy mess, I don’t think Hungarians are good with rice, but I revised it. Instead of water, the rice could be cooked in homemade chicken stock. Either way this makes a nice side dish.

HUNGARIAN RISOTTO
1 batch of cooked rice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup of frozen peas
2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
1 Tbsp grated parmesan [optional]
 
• Cook the rice to directions [click on the link], set it aside and keep it warm.
• In a non stick skillet sauté the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent.
• Add the frozen peas and continue to sauté for a minute.
• Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until the liquid is reabsorbed by the mushrooms.
• Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
• Add the sautéed vegetables to the rice.
• With two forks gently toss to combine.
• Sprinkle with parmesan and serve.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!