HUNGARIAN RISOTTO - RIZOTTÓ
The most important components of Hungarian rizottó are rice, peas and mushrooms. We never put cheese onto a hot dish. I don’t think Grandma liked it. But we only ate rizottó with fresh peas. Frozen fruit and vegetables started in Hungary about the time I was a teenager. I remember picking up odds and ends from the közért [grocery store] that used to be on the corner of Dohány and Szövetség utca.
Across the corner where the store used to be
Sometimes I picked up more than I was asked, such as a small frozen packet of red currants. I loved those red currants! I would put it on top of the warm coal stove and I watched it as it sizzled while I kept picking at it. I think I ate most of it still frozen. So the peas were welcome after a long winter. They were still pricey to make a soup or főzelék so Grandma made us rizottó. It used to be a slushy mess, I don’t think Hungarians are good with rice, but I revised it. Instead of water, the rice could be cooked in homemade chicken stock. Either way this makes a nice side dish.
1 batch of cooked rice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup of frozen peas
2 cups sliced, fresh mushrooms
1 Tbsp grated parmesan [optional]
• Cook the rice to directions [click on the link], set it aside and keep it warm.
• In a non stick skillet sauté the onions in olive oil on medium heat until translucent.
• Add the frozen peas and continue to sauté for a minute.
• Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until the liquid is reabsorbed by the mushrooms.• Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
• Add the sautéed vegetables to the rice.
• With two forks gently toss to combine.
• Sprinkle with parmesan and serve.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- CHOCOLATE DIPPED FILO STICKS
- SMOKED SOCKEYE
- FROZEN STRAWBERRY CHEESE PIE
- CANDIED ALMONDS
- ISLER - ISLER
- CHICKEN FINGERS
- RAW BEATROOT SALAD
- HUNGARIAN RISOTTO - RIZOTTÓ
- CHOCOLATE CLOUD CUPCAKES
- ZERO DESSERT
- CARROT LOAF CAKE
- BELL PEPPER STEW WITH SOUR CREAM - TEJFÖLÖS PAPRIK...
- TOMATO POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS KRUMPLIFŐZELÉK
- APPLE DRESSING
- TIPSY RAISIN PUMPKIN MUFFINS
- PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- ▼ November (16)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)