image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

9.11.13

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE


Adapted from a recipe by Jill Dupleix, fruity and light, it solved two problems for me; what to do with the remainder of the pineapple and finally getting to taste the darn thing. Cooking the pineapple mellows it out; I love pineapple, but my stomach is on a different opinion. It was a simple cake to make and the crumb turned out superb! After all, it is the crumb that determines how good a cake is and not how it is decorated. Olivia enjoyed the cake part and I was happy to take on the pineapple topping. Nothing is wasted at this house. As the saying goes “jó takarmány hasznosítók vagyunk” [we utilize feed well].
 
1/2 small ripe pineapple (about 350g), peeled
1/2 cup + 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
3 eggs
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup less 1/8 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
 
• Preheat the oven to 170C.
• Line the bottom of a spring form cake pan with parchment paper. Cut the paper about 1 inch larger than the bottom and cut into the circle about an inch. This way the paper will fit the pan and create a seal around the edge of the pan. Butter the side of the pan well.
• Cut the pineapple into 2 wedges, remove the core and thinly slice.
• Heat 3 Tbsp of the butter and 2 Tbsp sugar in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
• Add the pineapple slivers and cook a couple of minutes turning and shifting the slices until lightly cooked.
• Arrange the pineapple slices on the base of the lined cake pan, overlapping the slices so there aren’t any gaps.
• Beat the remaining butter and remaining sugar with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until fluffy and almost white.
• Beat in the eggs, one by one, then the lemon juice and vanilla extract. • Add the flour and coconut and combine well using the electric mixer on the lowest setting. • Spoon the batter over the pineapple in the cake pan.
• Bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
• Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out and allow cake to cool completely.
• Cut into wedges and serve.


10 comments:

  1. I don't know if I've ever made this type of cake. I think I have but I'm not sure. Must not have been too memorable. Maybe I should give it another shot ... tomorrow though, I'm making crepes suzette with ricotta filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria it was a fashionable cake in the sixties and seventies and I am sure everyone made it at least once. Certainly all my cookbooks from that time had a full page picture of it. It was a picturesque square cake with maraschino cherries and pineapple rings on the top. I found the maraschino flavour quite overpowering and the pineapple rings were simply too thick. The cake itself was very heavy; as only a 1 egg cake can be. When I found this recipe, I knew from the 3 eggs and the self rising flour that this version will have a nice crumb. Indeed it turned out lovely restoring my faith in pineapple upside down cakes. Those Australians sure know how to turn a bad recipe around.

      Delete
    2. I seem to remember trying to cut through the pineapple rings on the top of a pina colada cheesecake once and it was a mess. I needed an electric knife to saw through the thing. I imagine it would be similar with a pineapple upside down cake.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, just beautiful…. nag yon finom too, I'm sure xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy, I hope you are having a nice relaxing holiday!

      Delete
  3. Upside-down pineapple cake was one of our childhood favourites! My mom made it from the Five Roses Flour cookbook and the only difference is that the cake top (bottom) has a mixture of brown sugar and butter that turns into a sticky caramel glazing the gorgeous pineapple. It's really a very tasty dessert. I love the way you arranged the pineapples, it looks like cut glass!
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post . Great information of the best and delicious cake.I like buy so much pineapple flavours cake to all my all celibrations.i like to buy onlinepineapple cakesas its time saving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful sunny colour! Whenever I see a pineapple upside cake, I dream of the pineapple amount swapped with the amount of the batter ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive