image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

11.11.13

TIPSY RAISIN PUMPKIN MUFFINS


Peter, Peter Pumpkin Hater – will you have one of these? Ever since I discovered I am allergic to alcohol I look for recipes with liquor. Cooked, I still get to taste booze without reaction. Adapted from “Eat In Eat Out” Magazine, this was classified as a dessert and I can’t argue with that. It is yummy, so yummy that a pumpkin hater could enjoy it. It’s all in the scotch. I replaced the rum with good scotch, cut the recipe in half and added 2 chopped white chocolate squares. It made 10 good sized desserts. Sorry I can’t bring myself to call them muffins… these are so much more.
 
1/4 cup good scotch
1/4 cup water
1 cup raisins
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 + 1/8 cup pumpkin puree
2 squares of white chocolate, chopped
 
• Heat the scotch and the water until very hot.
• Pour over the raisins and let it soak overnight.
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Butter a muffin tin and set it aside.
• Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
• In a smaller bowl whisk the eggs, oil and the pumpkin until well combined.
• Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine.
• Fold the chopped white chocolate and the drained raisins into the batter.
• Fill the buttered muffin tins almost full.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
• Makes 10 large fluffy muffins


9 comments:

  1. The inside looks lovely and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you mean there is more of us??? I mean pumpkin haters? I thought I was the only one in the world (with my husband). The Scotch addition sounds really tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzsa, I happen to LOVE pumpkin, and so does all my family. I would love to make this super moist and yummy muffin recipe.
    I'm a little confused about your allergy to alcohol, but not liquor; which does happen to be alcohol!
    I googled some info...maybe this will straighten out the confusion!

    Question: What is the difference between a liquor and a liqueur?

    Both liquors and liqueurs contain alcohol, but the terms are not interchangable.

    Answer: This question confuses many, and with good reason. Many liquors are available in flavored forms nowadays. Both liquors and liqueurs contain alcohol, but the terms are not interchangeable.

    In general, liqueurs are sweetened spirits with various flavors, oils, and extracts. Liqueur alcohol content can range from a low 15 percent (30 proof) to 55 percent (110 proof), so potency is not a distinguishing factor. Rum, whiskey, brandy, and other liquors can serve as a base spirit for liqueurs. Cream liqueurs have cream added, while créme liqueurs are much sweeter, likened to a potent syrup. Our ancestors referred to liqueurs as cordials, and they were often used medicinally. Grand Marnier® is a delicious example of an orange liqueur which makes a flavorful ingredient in many recipes.

    Another thing: you mentioned scotch in the ingredient section...but than again in the preparation you mentioned soaking raisins in rum! Are you also adding rum to this?...or are you soaking the raisins in the scotch?...as you can see I do pay attention to the actual recipe and preparation since I'm craving for these beautiful muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe called for rum and I changed it for scotch. I will change the recipe, I am glad you noticed the discrepancy Elisabeth. I cannot consume alcohol only if it's brought to simmer or baked in something. Essentially it means that most of the alcohol, although perhaps not all, is gone and only the taste remains.

      Delete
    2. Zsuzsa, I'm glad the recipe calls for rum, because there's no way that I would spend any money on scotch that no one would drink...I do remember, that scotch was a huge favorite cocktail in the seventies for most men in the U.S.
      My uncle would have his scotch cocktail after a long day's work...(such a stereo type scenario back in those days)

      I do agree with you, that simmering, or boiling the alcohol will only keeps the flavor...unless you add the alcohol in its 'raw' stage is when you will taste the alcohol flavor and could be effective health wise.

      I am considering of making a loaf bread with this awesome recipe, which is quite the basic recipe...as for banana bread, instead of the pumpkin puree, and drastically cut down on the oil, to 1/4 cup will be sufficient, and less fat! The sugar amt. is just perfect in addition to the chopped white chocolate...awesome!

      My daughter is making her version of pumpkin breads and muffins just about every-other day these days; just can't have enough, grandkids love it for afternoon snacks. I'm copying and printing this out...right now! Thanks, friend! xo

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive