TOMATO POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS KRUMPLIFŐZELÉK
The taste of this simple potato stew is akin to Hungarian stuffed peppers. The first time I made it with fresh tomato sauce and it was spectacular. After that I used canned tomato sauce and I was less than happy with the result. But acidity wasn’t the only thing bothering me. It didn’t make sense to discard the potato water and then add water to the pot. I used the reserved potato water, but most of the potato water still went down the drain. So instead of experimenting with various brands of tomato sauce or finding the right amount, I radically changed the recipe. This may not be the traditional way to cook this dish, but it works and delicious.
3 Tbsp light olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1-2 bay leaves
salt to taste
6 red potatoes with skin on, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 fresh or frozen tomatoes [more if small]
1-1/2 cups water
1-2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup cold water
• Place the pot on medium heat; add the oil and the onion and sauté until translucent.
• Add the bay leaf, the potatoes, fresh parsley and sprinkle with salt.
• Add the skinned tomatoes and 1-1/2 cups of water.
• Bring to slow steady simmer and cover pot.
• Slowly simmer for 25 minutes.
• Uncover and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes. This will reduce the sauce.
• Adjust the salt and add a little sugar to taste.
• Make a paste from 1/4 cup of cold water and 3 Tbsp flour.
• Add to the pot and gently combine.
• When the sauce thickens, remove from heat, cover and let the dish rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- CHOCOLATE DIPPED FILO STICKS
- SMOKED SOCKEYE
- FROZEN STRAWBERRY CHEESE PIE
- CANDIED ALMONDS
- ISLER - ISLER
- CHICKEN FINGERS
- RAW BEATROOT SALAD
- HUNGARIAN RISOTTO - RIZOTTÓ
- CHOCOLATE CLOUD CUPCAKES
- ZERO DESSERT
- CARROT LOAF CAKE
- BELL PEPPER STEW WITH SOUR CREAM - TEJFÖLÖS PAPRIK...
- TOMATO POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS KRUMPLIFŐZELÉK
- APPLE DRESSING
- TIPSY RAISIN PUMPKIN MUFFINS
- PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- ▼ November (16)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)