26.9.17

HUNGARIAN HOMEMADE SAUSAGE ROASTED - SÜLT HÁZI KOLBÁSZ

I had this sausage recipe for two decades, never actually made it, I kept thinking one day I will invest in a sausage making equipment. After my recent visit to an Italian store I came down to Earth and decided that spending 1500.00 on professional meat processing equipment at my age would be folly, not to mention the heavy work such course of action would require.

Recalling the occasional Disznótoros care package my uncle sent from Siklós and the coils of raw sausage Grandma roasted in the oven afterwards... I decided I can perhaps reproduce the raw sausage and reduced the recipe to a tiny fraction. Some parts I measured and some I guessed, the smallest unit my scale registers is 4 grams. There was of course the added challenge, that the spices and salt cannot be reduced proportionally. So a word of caution. Sure you can double the recipe, but any more than 1 kg of ground pork and you would do better calculating the ingredients from the original recipe. And even then, use your judgement as far as the spices are concerned.

Well call it luck, we LOVED the flavour, though in all honesty, next time I will use medium ground pork, as this was a bit on the lean side. But the flavour was familiar. The colour was vibrant enough, though had it been in casings, smoked and hung, it would have been brighter red still. This recipe requires real, FRESH Hungarian paprika. Don’t use Spanish paprika and never from a tin. 


HUNGARIAN HOMEMADE SAUSAGE ROASTED
50 g medium ground pork
1-1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp caraway seeds, ground
1/2 tsp sugar
3-4 Tbsp oil for the roasting

  • Preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Place the ground pork in a wide bowl and measure the salt and the spices on the top.
  • With clean hands work the spices into the ground meat.
  • The spices must be thoroughly combined with the meat, keep working at it for several minutes.
  • Add the oil to an ovenproof skillet.  
  • Press the meat into a compact skinny loaf.
  • Put the loaf inside the skillet and place the skillet on the stove over medium heat.
  • Sear all four sides, carefully turning the loaf with a spatula in one hand, guiding it turn with the other hand. Take care not to burn your hand, but the loaf will not be too hot, at this point the meat is still raw on the inside.
  • When all the sides are seared, place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake it for and hour or longer.
  • After an hour, lightly poke the middle with a sharp knife and if clear liquid flows out the meat is done.
  • Remove from the heat and let the loaf rest for a few minutes before slicing.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!