image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

18.9.11

VERY LIGHT CHEESECAKE



I have been trying to come up with a low calorie cheesecake and I was beginning to think that it was an oxymoron until I saw this recipe on “With a Glass”, titled "Light Unbaked Cheesecake with Vanilla". THIS was exactly what I was looking for! One of the quickest desserts I ever made and imagine a cheesecake with only 557 calories! I made it today and it was a huge hit. The only thing I would do differently is to use a smaller spring form cake pan, I do have one and it will make this cheesecake considerably higher. Oh yes, I will definitely make it again! I was even thinking of arranging a layer of fresh strawberries in the pan before adding the cheesecake layer next time...

I never used quark before, Sissi was correct, the taste of this soft cheese product is extraordinary. I paid over 8 dollars for the 500 g tub. [It works out to be exactly 2 cups] Add to that the cost of a vanilla bean and it’s not exactly a thrifty dessert. But for people who can’t afford New York cheesecake with 1080 calories and 76 g of fat per slice, this cheesecake is a wonderful alternative. Thank you Sissi for sharing!

2 cups quark
3 Tbsp water
1 vanilla pod
4 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp Splenda
1-1/2 pkg. Knox gelatine

• Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into a small saucepan.
• Add the pod too.
• Add 3 Tbsp water and bring to the boil.
• Simmer for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
• Let it cool.
• Meanwhile lightly spray a 9 inch spring form cake pan with cooking spray. [This is so the parchment will stick to the pan.]
• Fully line the pan with parchment paper and set aside.
• Place the quark, sugar and the Splenda in a medium sized bowl.
• Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
• Take the vanilla pod out the vanilla infusion and set the pod aside.
• Now place a fine sieve over the bowl and pour the vanilla infusion into the quark mixture.
• Press the vanilla pods through the sieve with a dinner spoon.
• Stir the vanilla infusion into the quark mixture and set aside.
• Place 1/4 cup of cold water in a small bowl and add the Knox gelatine. [Keep in mind that Knox gelatine has to be mixed into cold water and added immediately to whatever you want to gel.]
• Stir to dissolve.
• Add the dissolved gelatine to the quark mixture and stir to combine.
• Scoop the quark mixture into the prepared cake pan and place in the fridge for 3 hours.
• Place the pan in the freezer for 1 hour. This just makes inverting onto a platter a breeze.
• Take the pan out of the freezer, unhook the spring mechanism and invert onto a large platter.
• Decorate as desired.
• Serve with fresh fruit.

6 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, what a wonderful surprise! I am so thrilled to see you have made my recipe! Your cheesecake looks fantastic!!!! And you have decorated it in such a beautiful way!
    I didn't know quark was so expensive in Canada (here a 500g tub costs less than two US dollars... It's the cheapest diary item per kilo.
    On the other hand, as you say, sometimes it's better to have a slimmer wallet than a thicker waist ;-)
    You are right to put fruit before placing the cheese mixture! I often do it (then the vanilla is not necessary) and it looks amazing when cut into pieces.
    You cannot imagine how happy I was to see my recipe on your blog! I am really honoured to see you have liked it! Compliments from such an excellent cook and baker as you are more than flattering. Thank you so much for linking to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason is that quark is a specialty item here and is not widely available. The newest thing is kefir, but so far I only saw it in flavoured form. I am just waiting for natural kefir to appear one of these days. My daughter really liked your cheesecake, she took the leftovers home last night. She was really taken by the cheese flavour, even took the empty tub for reference. Sissi, we are sure benefitting from your culinary expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, it's always like this... What is rare is expensive...
    On the other hand you can try making the same cheesecake with very well mixed turo (I know you make it sometimes), it's just that you shouldn't drain it too much. It will be different, but I admit I sometimes prefer the mixed turo version!
    I am glad you daughter liked it too!
    I recommend her a natural sweetener from a plant called Stevia. It has practically zero calories (I think 2 kcal per spoon) and is extremely sweet and healthy. If your daughter wants really very healthy and light sweets, Stevia is perfect. (http://www.steviacanada.com/)
    Otherwise, quark is what I also use to make fruit mousses (like the Strawberry Mousse http://www.withaglass.com/?p=4841). You simply put less gelatin (I put half of the cheesecake amount) and you must mix everything in a blender just before putting into the fridge (so that the air bubbles make the texture "moussey"). If you liked this cheesecake, you might like the light fruit mousse too! I mix quark with fruit, than add some whole fruits and pour into bowls. I know some people make fruit mousse with cream, but I prefer it light and healthy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great ideas Sissi, thank you! I will pass them on to Leilah. She was already talking about making fruit drinks with quark. Yes well... eating skinny or healthy is not cheap.

    My reluctance with using my own turo for a light cheesecake is I am not sure how to calculate its fat content, plus I have a feeling it is considerably higher than the 3% quark I can get here. I will check out the strawberry mousse, I am building up chapter in my book for health smart desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zsuzsa, what a great recipe, I can't wait to try it. You can make quark really easily and cheaply at home - it just takes a bit of time. Google for instructions (I don't have my recipe handy as I am far from home at the moment). Well worth making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well hello there hungarian-australian miss! nice to see you have hungarian recipes in english.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive