uniform sized Roma tomatoes
• Preheat oven to 150F.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
• Was and drip dry the tomatoes.
• Cut them in half lengthwise and place cut side up on the prepared cookie sheet.
• Sprinkle pickling salt over the tomatoes. You may add some herbs if you wish.
• Place in the oven and cook very slowly for 10 hours or longer.*
• When the tops are dry, turn the tomatoes over to dry the soft under bottoms.
• Remove from oven and let cool.
• Pack into freezer bags and freeze them. Dried tomatoes retain their color and flavour in the freezer for about a year.
• Shortly before you are ready to eat them pack some tomatoes into a sterilized jar and top it up with olive oil. The leftovers can be safely refrigerated for a couple of months.