image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

30.12.11

BANNOCK


I got this recipe from a former First Nation’s classmate of mine. At the time, I did not realize how often I would use the recipe, if ever. All I needed was one try and I have been making bannock ever since. Bannock calls for basic ingredients and is much easier and faster to prepare than Hungarian lángos. I tend to make it when unexpected company drops by and there is nothing to put on the table. Bannock can be eaten as is or with sweet or savoury toppings. Some people like it with jam or with cinnamon sugar. I favour plain bannock. This recipe makes 16 six-inch bannocks. I change the oil halfway through, because the flour sediments tend to burn after a few fries. Bannock is best when fresh. I try to discourage sampling and finish the batch first. Otherwise, it is not so easy to keep up with the demand for more.

4 cups flour
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 heaping tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1+1 cups vegetable oil

• In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, water and the maple syrup.
• Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.
• On a floured surface kneed dough ten times.
• Divide dough into 16 parts and roll into balls.
• On lightly floured board, flatten into disks.
• Roll each disk into a 6-inch circle.
• Heat 1 cup of oil in a fry pan.
• When the oil almost boils, reduce heat to medium.
• Shake off excess flour and slide dough circle into the hot oil.
• When the dough begins to bubble on top, quickly flip it over and fry until both sides are golden, but not brown.
• Place on paper towels and serve bannock.






4 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, I have read about bannocks in a Scottish cookery book, but there are no photos, so I had no idea how they looked. Yours are very appetising and I wish I had a couple of those with drinks tonight ;-)
    I wish you a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year, full of extraordinary culinary adventures and fascinating posts that are so inspiring and educative for us, young and unexperienced, humble cooks.
    Boldog Uj Evet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Szczesliwego Nowego Roku Sissi! I will make tepertős pogácsa tonight. Here is hoping a couple will escape so I can take a photo of it next year haha. I don't know about the second part, I am still learning to cook and often from much younger people than myself. Happy New Year and have a drink for me too. I will have to toast with sparkling apple juice. Maybe I should put some champagne into the pogacsa but never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Zsuzsa :-) I have never had tepertos pogacsa! Another dish on my to-do list.
    (I can assure you I have drunk more than one glass to your health ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not every bannock is good, baked bannock can be pretty rude. Tepertos pogacsa is still on my to do list. I tried a new "old recipe" on New Years Eve and it flunked. I wasted good teperto. Why did you have to change it Zsuzsa asked the man? I couldn't help it there are so many tepertos pogacsa recipes out there. I had to try. Man shaking head.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive