1 cup flour
1/2 cup cold butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp flour
finely shredded peel of 2 lemons
1/2 cup strained lemon juice [juice of 2 lemons]
1/4 cup half-and-half
icing sugar for dusting
• Preheat oven to 350ºF.
• Line a square pan with parchment paper with overhangs.
• In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, butter and icing sugar until evenly crumbly.
• Press the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared pan.
• Bake the crust for 25 minutes.
• Meanwhile place 1-1/2 cups sugar and 3 Tbsp flour in the mixing bowl.
• Add the 4 eggs and the lemon juice.
• Five minutes before the crust is ready start beating the contents of the bowl.
• Add the lemon peel and the half-and-half and beat to combine.
• Beat lemon mixture for 4 minutes.
• When the edges of the shortbread base are golden, remove from the oven.
• Immediately pour the lemon filling over the hot crust.
• Bake for 15-20 minutes until the center is set.
• Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
• With a blunt knife cut along the edge of the baking pan.
• Then grasp the parchment overhangs and lift the bar onto a cutting board.
• Cut into 16 bars.
• Before serving, sift icing sugar all over the top.
• Cover and store in the refrigerator.