A Potato, Cheese And Bacon Gratin
1-1/4 kg red potatoes
4 strips of thick bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1 cup Asiatic cheese, shredded
Large plain brie with rind included, sliced [350 g]
1/8 cup dry white wine
1-1/2 cups crème fraiche
• Peel and slice the potatoes.
• Transfer potatoes to a pot.
• Pour boiling water over the potatoes. This is important, because starting to cook the potatoes in cold water will leach out their flavour into the water.
• Cook the potatoes al dente.
• Drain the potatoes and let them cool down until you can handle them.
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Chop the bacon and cook them in a non-stick fry pan on medium heat.
• Meanwhile chop the onion and add to the bacon in the pan.
• Fry them together until the bacon is a bit crunchy and the onion has softened.
• Spray an ovenproof casserole dish with cooking spray.
• Add a layer of sliced potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Arrange the mixture of bacon and onion over the potato layer.
• Place the remaining potatoes on the top.
• Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Add the wine distributing it all over the dish.
• Scatter the Asiatic cheese on the top.
• Pour the crème fraiche over the entire dish.
• Slice the brie with the rind.
• Arrange the brie with the rind side on the top.
• Place in a preheated 350F oven and cover with foil.
• Bake for 30-40 minutes.
• Remove the foil and bake until potatoes are soft and the liquids are all absorbed.
• Before serving let the dish rest for 10 minutes.
• Serve tartiflette with a green salad.