image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

12.4.12

POPPY SEED NOODLES - MÁKOS TÉSZTA


I was making kakaós tészta and the dear wanted mákos tészta. Why not, both are simple noodle toppings. Just like palacsinta, everyone wants something different on their noodle. A coffee grinder or seed grinder is a necessary equipment to grind up the poppy seeds. You cannot use poppy seeds out of the bag. You don’t want to cook or soak them for this dish. They must be ground.

broad egg noodles for 4
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup poppy seeds, finely ground
1/8 cup superfine sugar

• Bring a 4-liter pot of salted water to a boil.
• Add the noodles and boil until tender, 8 to 9 minutes. Drain.
• Pour the hot noodles though a large sieve and rinse under cold running water.
• Let the noodles drain completely.
• Melt the butter in the pot and return the drained noodles.
• Mix well to coat with butter. Cover and keep the noodles warm.
• Grind the poppy seeds in a coffee or seed grinder and mix thoroughly with the sugar.
• Transfer the warm buttered noodles to a large, preheated serving bowl.
• Sprinkle each serving generously with the sweetened poppy seed mixture.

7 comments:

  1. It's so funny to see it here! I don't remember if I told you but pasta with poppy (and dried fruits + nuts) is one of the traditional Polish Christmas dishes. It's also funny because poppy is "mak" in Polish too and pronounced like in Hungarian ;-) I wonder what it the etymology...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zsuzsa, you have just made my all-time favorite childhood noodles.
    Mákos tészta, a legkedvencebb tészta amit nagyon régen ettem. Itt nem találok mást mint egy kicsi üvegben...just for a spice sized. Will have to check at our organic market.
    Love, how you remember all these "oldies-but goodies" recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth, I always get my supply a couple of weeks before Christmas and stock up for the year. I keep it in a plastic bin in my freezer, because a bag can puncture... It's a hit and miss the rest of the year, sniff it, sometimes the poppy seeds are rancid. North Americans are afraid of it; they immediately think opium when they see poppy seeds. But big stores relent where I live before Christmas trying to please the beigli crowd. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sissi, I don't know... but it would be an interesting research. The Polish Hungarian connection once again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sissi and Elisabeth I added a link to the post. Take a look. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous22.4.16

    Thanks for the recipe, I've been trying to perfect this pasta since last year and can't seem to do it!! I'll try this one and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice food blog,good recipes!
    I'm Croatian and we also use mak in my cooking!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive