Adapted from a Canadian Living, these are healthy muffins, low in fat and delicious. The original muffins were too small. I find this type of portion control a bit annoying, half of a decent sized muffin tastes better and is far more satisfying then a small whole muffin.
2-3/4 cups flour
1-1/2 cups rolled oats, (not instant)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup carrots, finely grated
1-1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• Preheat oven to 400F.
• In large bowl, whisk together flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
• Add the grated carrot and whisk to combine.
• In separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
• Pour milk mixture over the dry ingredients.
• Stir mixture until dry ingredients are barley moistened.
• Spray a large 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
• Fill 12 large muffin cups.
• Bake in centre of the preheated oven until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
• Carefully loosen the edges of the muffins and tilt them in the pan.
• Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.
• Transfer to racks and let cool completely.